Grady 208 Bow Rail Diameter?

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am trying to determine my bow rail diameter. I have a 2006 grady 208. I believe it is a 1 inch diameter bow rail but does anyone know for sure?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Wrap a string around it make a match mark. Stretch out the string and measure accurately between marks. Divide that number by Pi. But since you probably already know that Pi is 3.14, if you measure 3.14 (or awful darn close), then you don't have to divide. Could also use a set of Vernier calipers... but you probably wouldn't be asking if you had them! :)

This is the fun way to do it. Reading Seasick's post is not fun. ;)

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks everyone. I will measure and confirm. Not near boat yet ......

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Another approach I have done is cut out a 1" opening on some stiff cardboard, like a cereal box. Use it as a gauge. Cheap, simple, put it in your pocket

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you pass a Harbor Freight on the way, grab a few of these. Measures ID,OD, and depth. Or spend a few more bucks on a digital model.

Heck, that's cheaper than a box of cereal......

Reactions: glacierbaze

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
But then you have to spend the next 2 hours trying to figure out how to read that vernier scale... :D
Look at the picture, I don't think its a vernier scale, just line up the 0 and you get an inch reading. If it were a vernier, I'd say it would be pretty much only good to use as a ruler.

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Heck, that's cheaper than a box of cereal......
I got one of the digital calipers on sale several years ago, something less than 10 bucks. I don't use it a lot but its pretty good for the money. I am not sure I'd set up critical bearing clearances with it, but for home shop use, its a steal. And I am on the original button cell battery.

Last edited:

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Look at the picture, I don't think its a vernier scale, just line up the 0 and you get an inch reading. If it were a vernier, I'd say it would be pretty much only good to use as a ruler.
I was just making a joke because trying to determine 1.0 inches from 0.875 or 1.125 won't require reading the vernier, but that Harbor Freight caliper is exactly a vernier scale :)

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This isn't a SpaceX project. Wrap a piece of paper around it and mark it!

D = Circumference / pi . If you're going to do it every day buy a tool.

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was just making a joke because trying to determine 1.0 inches from 0.875 or 1.125 won't require reading the vernier, but that Harbor Freight caliper is exactly a vernier scale :)

The pic looks like two linear/arithmetic scales. One English/American and the bottom metric

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The pic looks like two linear/arithmetic scales. One English/American and the bottom metric
I don’t know what to tell you. That type of caliper is literally called a vernier caliper, whether it’s SAE, metric, or both.

No more bad engineering jokes from me. I’ve gotten lazy over the years because 95% of the time I use digital calipers at work. The other 5% of the time is my own personal dial caliper. Vernier calipers are a PITA to figure out exact measurements and it takes me too long, hence the joke…

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don’t know what to tell you. That type of caliper is literally called a vernier caliper, whether it’s SAE, metric, or both.

No more bad engineering jokes from me. I’ve gotten lazy over the years because 95% of the time I use digital calipers at work. The other 5% of the time is my own personal dial caliper. Vernier calipers are a PITA to figure out exact measurements and it takes me too long, hence the joke…
I stand corrected. I looked at a blow up of the ad pic. I guess its reads .801 or there abouts. I am thinking I was recalling slide rules. Digital calipers are a lot simpler

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Man, I only used the word "Vernier" as a general reference for the OP since he probably isn't familiar with this stuff and if I just said "caliper", he might think I was referring to a braking system. I didn't realize it would cause such a stir! :)