Grady 208 thru hull tranny position 1kW

Gamechanger

Reaction score
Guys,
Am planning to install a 1kW tranny in the GW 208 (Furuno 585 head unit), anyone got the same set up or installed a thru hull tranny and if so what position, any problems/learnings you can share, thanks a lot in advance for any feedback....
Dan

LB2141

Reaction score
anyone? i'm interested in the answer to this as well...

seasick

Reaction score
LB2141 said:
anyone? i'm interested in the answer to this as well...
There are a few issues with the mounting. The ducer needs to be pretty far aft on the hull to make sure it stays under water when the bow is up. It needs to be located away from excessive turbulence so you have to avoid certain areas near the strainer pickups for livewell andwashdown or too close to the chines.
There is also pretty limited access to the bilge to allow access to the mount so you are somewhat limited to the aft bilge under the motor well and even that is a real pain to work in. Unless someone gets back with hands on experience, your best bet is to research temporary mounting in the bilge, shooting through the hull. That will require a good acoustic connection(e.g. temp oil bath) but may help find a good spot for the final mounting location. Some folks mount the transducer permanently in the bilge using either an epoxy or an oil bath. If done correctly they work fine but may loose some depth range due to the attenuation of the hull. This approach doesn't work for cored hulls (the 208 is not cored). You need to get the correct angle ducer or use faring blocks to compensate for the deadrise at the mounting location.
Remember that if you trailer the boat, the ducer has to be clear of the rollers or bunks.

LB2141

Reaction score
So you're saying just stick to a transom mount on the 208???

seasick

Reaction score
LB2141 said:
So you're saying just stick to a transom mount on the 208???

When mounted and adjusted correctly, the transom mount works well/holds bottom at speeds up to 30+ mph in my case.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
My only experience with a thru-hull transducer is one the previous owner installed. It was as far aft and as far outboard to the starboard side away from the keel as possible with access to it from the bilge (just forward and outboard from the livewell thru-hull pickup). Most of the time it worked great, but occasionally when we would come over the top of a wave, it would come out of the water slightly and would cavitate or create some sort of air bubble turbulence trailing off it that would cast a shadow on the prop. This would cause the boat to pull hard right while leaning hard left. It was always a squirrelly situation. The only way to fix it would be to back off the throttle to idle and start over. After 1 season dealing with that, we removed the transducer, patched the hull, and went with a transom mount. Transom mount works great, and we can maintain a bottom fix to about 400 feet while up on plane. This was all pre- trim tab install. Maybe if we had had trim tabs at the time, the bow would have rode a little farther down and kept the transducer from coming out of the water enough to create the turbulence. I will never know, but I've been happy with the transom mount for what we do.