Grady 226 or HydraSports 2200vx

Landlocked

Reaction score
Ok, ok...I know this is a Grady site but we have settled on these two boats and need some ammunition for discussion with the admiral :wink:
She likes the layout of the HS better for family, I like the Grady for fishing!
We don't have room for the 228 with the bracket. Fire away!

Average Joe

Reaction score
I looked at HS when I bought my boat seven years ago and I wasn't impressed.
As I understand it right now the company is in limbo. Our local dealer has stopped selling them.

Overall the quality of the GW is better IMO. Access to the bow is easier with the walk-around design. Your wife will find out that having a cabin is nice but you won't spend near as much time in there as you might initially think.

GW stands behind their product, HS might not be here much longer to stand behind theirs.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Go for a ride in both with the Admiral. Getting around is much different when the boat is moving vs. on land/dock plus you'll see how each boat rides.

Bill_N

Reaction score
My buddy has a HS 29 CC. I don't think the quality is up to GW standards and the Seafarer is one of the best all around boats GW has ever made.

no problem

Reaction score
Seriously check out hydrasports current ownership. The company was just sold in bankruptcy. production is being moved to a new location. If your buying a leftover it was most likely not made by the current ownership. Something to think about for such a substantial purchase. after 5 years and multiple attempts they were able to stop my buddys hydrasports 2500vx walkaround from leaking. :D After that they turned his 10 year hull warranty into a 5 year and said it expired last month. That kind of customer service kills resale. I do however enjoy fishing on the boat but, its no Grady.

Brad1

Reaction score
I just sold a 226 and I couldn't imagine a boat in it's class having a better layout. On one or two occaisions I had myself, my Wife, my two Sons, and my Brother and his Wife on board and we were not cramped.

Coincidently, I owned a Hydra Sports (albiet, the lightning series) just prior to my Grady. You could not even come close to comparing those two boats. My experience with the HS boat and their customer service is why I sold that boat and bought a Grady White.

I really miss my 226. It was the nicest boat I've ever owned, or possible ever will own. For a 22 ft cuddy, it rides great, has an incredible layout, more storage that you know what to do with, and so many other nice features.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Sea Trial both on a bumpy day, not a snotty day, but a day with some chop on the water ...then the Admiral will want the Grady. I have never been aboard a HS, have seen them, but if the boat company is on the rocks, there is no way I am buying a new boat from them.

BabyG

Reaction score
Show the wife the little rubber bumper stop that is under the latch going into the cabin on the Grady and explain the attention to detail of GW to the other boat. Thats what gets my friends and to be fare I like the Hydre Sports.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
no problem said:
Seriously check out hydrasports current ownership. The company was just sold in bankruptcy. production is being moved to a new location. If your buying a leftover it was most likely not made by the current ownership. Something to think about for such a substantial purchase. after 5 years and multiple attempts they were able to stop my buddys hydrasports 2500vx walkaround from leaking. :D After that they turned his 10 year hull warranty into a 5 year and said it expired last month. That kind of customer service kills resale. I do however enjoy fishing on the boat but, its no Grady.
To be fair to Hydrasport, they were sold for $1million by Genmar to Wayzeta Investment Partnership. They are now owned by the same folks who own Mastercraft and production has been moved to Vonore, TN. This can only be a good thing for them in the long run. While I'm sure quality and innovation will improve, they are still not and never will be a Grady White in my opinion.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This is a pro grady site, I guess you just want a "congratulations on choosing the Grady" (?)