Grady 226 tow vehicle

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello All. I have a 1993 Seafarer with a Yammy 250 four stroke on it.

I would guess weight with trailer would be around 5500 lbs

I like to head down to the Keys for several weeks to a month in March, and want to bring it down next winter. I need a truck anyway, and really am looking hard at the Colorado/canyon diesel crew cab. I would get a full size truck, but I like the fuel mileage of the diesel, and don't need anything bigger for 95% of its use.

Tow rating of 7700 lbs.

Any reason you can think of a Colorado Diesel would be a poor choice for a once a year tow to the Keys from Ontario?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello Hutchy,

I'll jump in and get this going...

I have a Ram EcoDiesel 1500 that is powered by a V6 with an 8,610 lb towing capacity. I tow my 228 in the mountains in Nevada/California, and go from 4,500' to 8,600' elevations in a quick manner, and my truck can dish it out because of the torque. You would be towing on fairly flat highways I am guessing, so I don't think it will be an issue. I think your weight of 5,500 lbs is pretty spot on!

One word, I recently filled up the 90 gallon tank, and noticed the weight difference going up steep inclines, but not to the point of stress.

Now if I could just get to the keys too ;)

Lee

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello Hutchy,

I'll jump in and get this going...

I have a Ram EcoDiesel 1500 that is powered by a V6 with an 8,610 lb towing capacity. I tow my 228 in the mountains in Nevada/California, and go from 4,500' to 8,600' elevations in a quick manner, and my truck can dish it out because of the torque. You would be towing on fairly flat highways I am guessing, so I don't think it will be an issue. I think your weight of 5,500 lbs is pretty spot on!

One word, I recently filled up the 90 gallon tank, and noticed the weight difference going up steep inclines, but not to the point of stress.

Now if I could just get to the keys too ;)

Lee

Thanks for that! i would drive it down empty, because fuel is waaaay cheaper down there than in Ontario! last time we went, we went through the mountains in Virginia, but i would avoid that and go through Detroit when I cross the border. The truck I am looking at would be rated at 1000 lbs less towing capacity, but then I would hopefully be avoiding any serious hills. its an odd thing to buy a truck for towing when you will only be putting 4800 mils on the truck in one shot! I do tow snowmobiles, and a waverunner also, but that can be done with my current equinox!

Thanks for the reply. the issue I am running into is that the Diesel Colorados are about as expensive as a good full size truck!

We did the keys for the first time this past year and thought it was great. To try ti out and see if we liked it we bought a 12 foot dinghy and 15 hp. Had a blast! Caught sharks, saw manatees, dolphins...everything. Was great. Now want to do some real fishing, and to do that I want to take down the big boat.

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not a problem!

I also filled up on gas in Nevada before parking it in California for the summer. Fuel is $1.00 more expensive across the border because of taxes.

You can handle the hills if its quicker, just get one with a tow package feature, if not standard. And yes, all trucks have become absurdly priced over the last 10 years...keep us updated~

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
just something about a diesel that gives me a bit more confidence when towing that far. Just priced it out with the options I want in CAD

Diesel Colorado LT $$42,000.00 7600 lb capacity
Diesel Silverado LT $47,646.00 9400 lb capacity

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For 5k more I’d take the Silverado More room for longer journeys

Reactions: Hutchy

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Go Silverado if the extra cost you are ok with. Nicer truck and more towing.

Reactions: Hutchy

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I tow with a duramax Silverado 4x4 love it. No worries towing my 228

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with others, go Silverado, more mass makes towing and travel a breeze.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Pulling a 226 with a F150 Ecoboost 3.5 crew cab with payload package. Tow rated #12,800.

Doesn't know the boat is back there. 21 mpg on highway, 16.2 mpg towing the Grady

Bottomfeeder

Reaction score
Thanks for that! i would drive it down empty, because fuel is waaaay cheaper down there than in Ontario! last time we went, we went through the mountains in Virginia, but i would avoid that and go through Detroit when I cross the border. The truck I am looking at would be rated at 1000 lbs less towing capacity, but then I would hopefully be avoiding any serious hills. its an odd thing to buy a truck for towing when you will only be putting 4800 mils on the truck in one shot! I do tow snowmobiles, and a waverunner also, but that can be done with my current equinox!

Thanks for the reply. the issue I am running into is that the Diesel Colorados are about as expensive as a good full size truck!

We did the keys for the first time this past year and thought it was great. To try ti out and see if we liked it we bought a 12 foot dinghy and 15 hp. Had a blast! Caught sharks, saw manatees, dolphins...everything. Was great. Now want to do some real fishing, and to do that I want to take down the big boat.

Hutchy,
as others have pointed out, go with a full size truck.
I just drove down and back from Detroit to Ft Meyers (Without the boat)and I can assure you that driving through Kentucky and Tennessee will make you glad you have a suitable tow vehicle. Lots of construction where there is almost no shoulder to pull over on.
I have a 2019 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 to pull my 225 with and I think that is the minimum.
Make sure your trailer has good brakes as they are required in Florida .

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
:rolleyes: those Super Duty's are a beast. nice truck

Thanks.

Hutchy probably doesn't need to go that big, but at least the Silverado. Had a dually since 2011, nothing like them as far as stability on the road. Before that, 3/4 ton diesel single rear wheel, started back in 1999 when I bought my first diesel, never went back.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks.

Hutchy probably doesn't need to go that big, but at least the Silverado. Had a dually since 2011, nothing like them as far as stability on the road. Before that, 3/4 ton diesel single rear wheel, started back in 1999 when I bought my first diesel, never went back.

I am really liking the idea of the Silverado with the three liter diesel at this point. I just see how much smaller the Colorado is, and it would certainly give me more confidence.

I had a 2004 F250 super duty years ago. I think 5.7? You could watch the fuel gauge drop....hoping to avoid tha,t and the 3 liter diesel now offered seems like it gets great mileage in the Silverado

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I think you would be much happier with the Silverado also. If you look at the stats, the Colorado diesel is a dog unloaded and significantly worse with a load. The Silverado should be much better. Merging and passing with a Colorado diesel will be stressful at best.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am really liking the idea of the Silverado with the three liter diesel at this point. I just see how much smaller the Colorado is, and it would certainly give me more confidence.

I had a 2004 F250 super duty years ago. I think 5.7? You could watch the fuel gauge drop....hoping to avoid tha,t and the 3 liter diesel now offered seems like it gets great mileage in the Silverado

Gas F250 would suck the fuel. With the 6.7 I'm around 16 in town and pulling I drop to 10, but I run 75 most of the time, this is with 4.10 gears.