Grady 226 tow vehicle

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
no way man..6.6 life all the way..DMAX !

Haha, I dont need the biggest and best. Like I said, only towing the boat once a year. 9000 lb capacity is perfect. The rest of the year I could probably do with the four cylinder turbo. I wouldn't though, because even I know a four cylinder doesn't belong in a real truck!

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
the 3 liter is a Duramax anyway.

I was half expecting to hear that if I didn't have a 3500 or Super Duty dually I would be broke down and in the ditch before I got out of Ontario.

So far the replies have been good though, and a full size really does make more sense.

bFransen

Reaction score
Pulling a 226 with a F150 Ecoboost 3.5 crew cab with payload package. Tow rated #12,800.

Doesn't know the boat is back there. 21 mpg on highway, 16.2 mpg towing the Grady

I pull a 228 with a 2017 f150 ecoboost 3.5 crew cab with towing package. I'm getting about 20 around town and maybe 11 with the boat in tow.

Mine doesn't like going much over 60 when towing, but that's probably a trailer issue. I've noticed the same thing with other larger trucks. Trailer starts to sway.

If you look at the f150 marketing material I think it has pics of the truck pulling a 226 or a 228 across the Rockies or some big hill.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Haha, I dont need the biggest and best. Like I said, only towing the boat once a year. 9000 lb capacity is perfect. The rest of the year I could probably do with the four cylinder turbo. I wouldn't though, because even I know a four cylinder doesn't belong in a real truck!
Silverado just on resale value alone.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You Americans and your trucks. In a land where our ”trucks” don’t come in XL, XXL and XXXL I get by just fine towing my 228 behind my 2.7l diesel Land Rover LR3.;)

• Haha
Reactions: Summertop511

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
the 3 liter is a Duramax anyway.

I was half expecting to hear that if I didn't have a 3500 or Super Duty dually I would be broke down and in the ditch before I got out of Ontario.

So far the replies have been good though, and a full size really does make more sense.
Yes half of one

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You Americans and your trucks. In a land where our ”trucks” don’t come in XL, XXL and XXXL I get by just fine towing my 228 behind my 2.7l diesel Land Rover LR3.;)

I saw that when I was in New Zealand. Toyotas and Land Rovers do fine towing large boats as long as they have diesel engines.

You guys who have never towed with a 4 cylinder diesel should reserve your opinions. They are torque monsters. Not fast, but once they get moving they don't slow down.

Full sized trucks are much less stress-inducing when towing long distances. But all you need is a small V8, an Ecoboost, or a little turbo diesel to pull a 7000 lb rig just fine.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So w

I saw that when I was in New Zealand. Toyotas and Land Rovers do fine towing large boats as long as they have diesel engines.

You guys who have never towed with a 4 cylinder diesel should reserve your opinions. They are torque monsters. Not fast, but once they get moving they don't slow down.

Full sized trucks are much less stress-inducing when towing long distances. But all you need is a small V8, an Ecoboost, or a little turbo diesel to pull a 7000 lb rig just fine.

The Colorado has a 2.8 liter, and is rated for over 7000. That's why I considered it. I am well within the limits at 5500.

I know a 1500 with the bigger Duramax would be better, but like I said before, the other 11 months of the year I would never need a big truck. I am not looking to break any land speed records

Good information