Grady 228/226 Speaker Location Ideas??

GulfSea

Reaction score
Let's see em' if you have pictures. Mine are bad where they are now and can barely be heard. So show us and/or tell us what ideas you came up with that have survived the test of time.....

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 226 had a pair of Poly Planar MA8000 box speakers on the hardtop, right next to the spreader lights. Was plenty loud.

I'll dig up a picture and post it.

zimm

Reaction score
I don't have pictures, but prior owner installed a pair of bazooka marine speakers under the gunwale just in front of each seat. They are hidden, but really push out the sound.

suzukidave

Reaction score
i can tell you where not to put them. the previous owner of my 223 installed them just below the seats at the rear of the cockpit where they can be kicked every time someone gets in and out of the boat. the speaker covers are badly dented so i am debating removing the speakers and filling the holes with useless deck plates rather than buying sacrificial speaker covers.

on the 190 they are tucked up and under the helm and passenger dashboard. perfectly adequate sound and nearly immune from weather or feet.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gulfsea - Pics as promised.

I wanted the wiring to be as hidden as possible, but was unmotivated to pull a chase through the pipes, so I ran the wiring behind the pipe and above the zip in storage compartment...had to drill a small wire and add a fitting but you would have had to look closely to find it.

Only recommendation is to be sure to use nylock nuts as the vibration, both in the water and on the trailer, would cause the nuts to work loose.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! Pathery, I've considered that but didn't know if you would be able to hear them at the helm. What was your experience? suzukidave, I considered that too but knew they'd get beat up on a daily basis. Plus get hammered with blasts of saltwater on a regular basis. zimm, which model speakers do you have? I have a couple there now that are pathetic.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
One thing I did do was leave enough wire behind the speaker so that if I wanted to rotate them to face the helm, I could do so. That would have placed the sound right behind me. Never had to though....even facing the other way I could hear them just fine.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll start focusing on hanging them there and see where it goes. My stereo is in the upper radio compartment so it should be easy enough to route wires there.

zimm

Reaction score
These guys: http://www.bazooka.com/products/marine/ ... -Ended-S89

They're actually wakeboard tower speakers. Prior owner used heavy aluminum angle to make a bracket to bolt them to the underside of the gunwale. Nice not to have cut big holes and they throw out some sound- you can listen to music at 30mph if you want. After an hour though I had to turn them down, my ears were aching a bit. They sound great in a no-wake or anchored too.

GulfSea

Reaction score
zimm, where under the gunwale are they mounted? I'm trying to picture it but am clueless. I currently have mine low at the cabin bulkhead.

zimm

Reaction score
GulfSea said:
zimm, where under the gunwale are they mounted? I'm trying to picture it but am clueless. I currently have mine low at the cabin bulkhead.

I don't have any pictures of them, but behind the front cup holders, just above the "shelf" that the seat pedistal is on. Does that make sense? There a gap between the gunwale and the seat box- they sit right in there.

GulfSea

Reaction score
zimm said:
GulfSea said:

I don't have any pictures of them, but behind the front cup holders, just above the "shelf" that the seat pedistal is on. Does that make sense? There a gap between the gunwale and the seat box- they sit right in there.

YES, I understand where they are. Which way were they facing?

G8RDave

Reaction score
Here's where mine are located. My top ones are now Poly Planers (smaller than the ones in the picture) and the other two are inset into the inspection ports down low.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Thanks zimm, that's given me a few ideas to kick around now.....I've always wanted to use that space for something and just found my stereo will support 4 speakers. This will be one of several December-January projects this year.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Dave, I'd considered mounted at the lower space but feared they would be soaked by water coming down the walkway in bad weather. That's a perfect place for the back sound-wise, have you had issues with water hitting them there?

G8RDave

Reaction score
GulfSea, naturally they get wet, but they are waterproof so "no harm no foul." I haven't had any issues with them being located there. I bought an extra set of inspection port covers, cut the proper sized holes for the speakers, then just popped them in. I kept the oem covers in storage in case I ever wanted to go back to stock.

GulfSea

Reaction score
G8RDave said:
GulfSea, naturally they get wet, but they are waterproof so "no harm no foul." I haven't had any issues with them being located there. I bought an extra set of inspection port covers, cut the proper sized holes for the speakers, then just popped them in. I kept the oem covers in storage in case I ever wanted to go back to stock.

Perfect, thanks Dave!

zimm

Reaction score
I finally got pics of the bazooka wakeboard speakers in front of my seats.

767173fe7778d7ac86476c3e151cbebe_zps9317f547.jpg

cdd57372845c9b02b6ae6200477752de_zps562e2816.jpg