Grady 228 Depth Finder Question

Jack23

Reaction score
All,

I'm the new owner of a 2005 228. Great boat - had the 208 before this. This 228 has a raymarine C80. I don't have the $$ for a new system just now, so I need to do the best I can with what I have for this season and next. The C80 works fine except for the depth finder - reading no data. I've been troubleshooting with Raymarine - they have been helpful, but it looks like the DSM is shot - typical for one 10 years old from what I've been told. I'd like to continue using chartplotter and radar functions of the C80, and augment the system with a standalone depth finder. Question is, what would fit in the small cabinet just behind the wheel? That's where the C80 MFD sits now and it takes up most of the room. It will have to be moved over to accommodate a separate depth finder. I don't really want to mount the depth finder anywhere else - not really any other good place for it as you may know.

what depth finder would you suggest?

Jack

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would just measure your space (you know it better than me) and then look at some various units. All of the units you look at should give the specs/measurements. Humminbird has some decent, small, inexpensive units.

Another thought... buy a used DSM - you can find those for about the same price as a decent, small fishfinder. Probably about $200-ish -- and there is no running of new wires or installing a new transducer.

Jack23

Reaction score
Thanks, Dennis. Actually, Raymarine will fix the DSM for free, and I'll take care of it in the off season. Reason I was thinking this could be time for a change was that I'm not a big fan of the MFD having 3 different component readouts on it. I'd like to have depth on a separate screen - also insures that I'll still have depth if something happens to the C80 before I have a chance to replace.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Jack, how the heck did you pull off getting Ray to fix a 10-year old unit for free??? :mrgreen:

In lieu of finding a unit to fit inside, are you familiar with RAM mounts? I'm just using this one as an example, but it gives you an idea: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-202-24-202U You can get them specific for a certain model, or even "build your own" with whatever length arm you want. The great thing is that they only require a very small area to mount them and then you can move it around at will and easily take it off, too.

Jack23

Reaction score
LOL - I assumed the raymarine contact would fix no charge as these units have been very problematic. I should double check! I believe I do have one of those manufactured in Mexico. I was going to do a software upgrade on the unit, but I'm not even sure that would work as there is no power to the DSM. Also, on the RAM mounts - I use one for my ipad that has navoinics on it. Mounted on the grab bar in front of the passenger seat. The one negative on the 228 is that the helm area does not leave much room to mount components. As you guys know, the cabin entry has a black lexan cover that folds over, preventing me from mounting anything directly to the left of the wheel. I hate not having a working depth finder!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I pulled up a google picture of a 228 dash. As long as I'm looking at the right model year, I see a couple good places that a RAM mount can go... The port side of the instrument "pod", on the port side of the steering wheel pod, maybe even IN the electronics box with the RAM arm extending out of the box a bit.

Jack23

Reaction score
I thought about that. I felt like it would obstruct vision while I was seated. I should revisit.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Remember that you can get the RAM "arms" in different legnths (if you build your own) - which means, you can have the mount closer to the windshield (for example), but still have the unit closer to you. I'd be willing to bet that you can make it so that the unit is about the same height as the main gauge pod. Or at least close enough that it shouldn't obstruct your view. Good luck!