Grady 228 Repower

L.R.

Reaction score
Just repowered My 2005 226 with a DF-250AP...Had the Old F-225 mounted all the way up on the Transom...43 plus MPH,one time 44.3 mph.So far with the new Engine,have 12 hrs. on it....just shy of 46MPH @6K rpms.

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Grady_Crazy said:
Picked up 12-mph more on topspeed
Is this number correct? That seems like a lot.

It does sound like a lot but remember I went from the Yammy OX66 225 to a Suzuki 250 so increase in HP.

I topped out @ 35 before. Now with just me, no curtains, 90 gallons of fuel, trimmed out on smooth water hit 47mph at 6000RPMs.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Great numbers and glad to see you got the motor you wanted. I think the performance numbers for the Zuke and 4.2liter Yamaha are very similar. My 3.3 liter topped out at 41 mph. My 4.2 liter tops out around 46-47 at 5,500 rpm. My cruise rpm at 30 mph is now just 3,500 rpm. Where as it was around 3,900 rpm before my repower. The low end hole shot is better too. I suspect the Zuke has a great hole shot because it has taller gears and can swing a bigger prop.

That Zuke seems to be an awesome motor. Keep everyone posted. Did you get fly by wire?

bFransen

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. It cost enough money that I can't do this twice so I greatly appreciate everyone's input and info.

I'm getting a 250ap, the digital controlled motor, in white. It should be here next weekend. Old off this week and new one on next.

I was topping out at about 41 with the 225, but that was really trimmed up. It will be interesting to see what the new power will do.

I'll post pics and stats when I get it in the water.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
bFransen said:
Thanks for all the input. It cost enough money that I can't do this twice so I greatly appreciate everyone's input and info.

I'm getting a 250ap, the digital controlled motor, in white. It should be here next weekend. Old off this week and new one on next.

I was topping out at about 41 with the 225, but that was really trimmed up. It will be interesting to see what the new power will do.

I'll post pics and stats when I get it in the water.

Looking forward to your report back on the new motor.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've seen a couple of GWs 33 with twins and smaller with single with Suzuki's on the transom. They are good motors. The key is the support. If you have it near you, you will be fine. Keep us informed of performance.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I topped out @ 35 before. Now with just me, no curtains, 90 gallons of fuel, trimmed out on smooth water hit 47mph at 6000RPMs.

Seems like the 35 was too low but the 47 seems correct. According to Grady's performance data on the new 228 with a 250 Yamaha tops out at 48. Sounds like you are right on the money. Enjoy!

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Grady_Crazy said:

Seems like the 35 was too low but the 47 seems correct. According to Grady's performance data on the new 228 with a 250 Yamaha tops out at 48. Sounds like you are right on the money. Enjoy!

Thanks===In hindsight, I think the factory mounted OX66 225 was a little underpowered on the the 226/228 hull. Not sure what the fuel curves were back in 1999/2000 with the OX66 being the primo outboard at the time but I think the beautiful big heavy-girl needed the 250.

fabulousj79

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
See my previous post below--I'm beyond pleased with my Suzuki DF250 and it gets better everytime I go out.

Just Repowered My 1999 228G with a Suzuki DF250
Postby trilogy » Oct Mon 16, 2017 12:16 pm

For what it's worth,

Just wanted to put it out there how pleased I am with my new motor. Went from a 1999 YAMAHA OX66 225 (which still ran smooth and reliably) to the Suzuki DF250 (white) and C-10 color monitor. Struggled mightily on the decision to leave Yamaha for the Suzuki but am extremely pleased with my decision. Picked up 12-mph more on topspeed and the fuel economy difference amazing (avg at least 1.5 mpg more and as much as 2.5mpg more than the Yammy).

However, the most part that I can't get over is the sound level difference. I had never truly heard the SV2 hull working like I can now---listening to the water being displaced, sliding under the hull, and sprayed outward will lull you to sleep. Also, now have to completely adjust my amplifier settings as now the system doesn't have to compete and overcome the 2-stroke noise.

Just wanted to put this out there as during my agonizing decision making process, I would have liked to see as much feedback from other 228ers.

Please don't read this as any slander against Yamaha as the OX66 treated me amazing--just wanted to repower solely for piece of mind and the Suzuki vs Yamaha debate is always testy. But 13 hours into this new motor, I'm extremely pleased.

"One-Eyed Lily"
1999 228 Seafarer
2017 Suzuki DF250
trilogy

Can anyone comment on the scupper position after adding a 250 4 stroke to a 228G originally equipped with a 2 stroke? I have a 93 228G and I'd love to buy the Suzuki 250 but I'm concerned with the scuppers being fully submerged after installation as I plan to keep it in the water all season. A few people have commented on this issue but I was hoping someone that has the Suzuki DF250 could chime in.

Thanks!

bFransen

Reaction score
Performance wise, so far the new Suzuki is awesome. Totally different boat. People have written it before, but I have to tell you that it's true. The boat rides great with this engine.

As for the float lines, if your boat is like mine they will be at least partially submerged. One of the other considerations is that the additional water pickup is on the front of the lower unit and under water when the engine is trimmed up. I've been trailering my boat and only left it in the water for two weeks tops so I'm not sure how bottom paint on the lower unit works out.

Here's a pic of my transom. Note that the engine is tilted to port so the starboard scupper would be a little lower when centered. Most likely, I've got around 80 gallons of fuel on board when the pic was taken. When the scuppers are over the water, I know it's time to put on some fuel.

Attachments

• IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: fabulousj79

Fishtales

Reaction score
A dockmate of mine repowered with twin 150 Tohatsu's. They are Honda's with different paint/graphics. He told me it was the best pricing he had found for quality motors. After 2 seasons, they have run flawlessly. Worth a look if there is a nearby dealer.

Heard the same. The price I was told was almost not believable. Worth a look for sure.