Grady 232 owners. Is a big single ok on this hull or does it have to have twin engines?

RegulatorRon

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Found one for sale that has been repowered with Yamaha 2017 250. I would only be using inshore and not overloading the boat.

What kind of performance can I expect out of this setup?

My father in law has this hull with twin 4 stroke 150's and loves it. Cost of repowering that boat in the future is what would keep me away from going that way.

The hull on the 232 I have found is a year 2000. Any issues I need to be aware of such as transom issues, fuel tank replacement etc?

Thanks!

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can check the GW website for archived catalogs. Max HP is 400 for that year. Prob a little light but will likely be ok. All the stuff you discuss needs to be checked. 19 year old hull and there could could/not be issues. More likely how the owner(s) cared for it at this point. Do yourself a favor and get a survey and make sure you check the stringers, transom and decking coring.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have a 250HP on my Offshore with a bracket. The Gulfstream is roughly the same length, but a bit wider and a bit heavier - but I don't think it's a huge difference?. I have ZERO issues with performance - it pops up on plane amazingly fast. I can't imagine that you would have any problems - especially with a light to medium load. I don't even need my tabs to get on plane - you could always drop those if needed and those would make a very noticeable difference.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You don't NEED twins on that boat..but it's waaay better with them. I owned an '07 with twin 200's for ten years and wouldn't want one with a single. But that's me..I always put as much HP as allowed on my hulls. I've never been sorry.

That said, you'll have adequate power unless you really load it down or your sawing thru really rough conditions. You'll likely hit hi 30's flat-out and cruise in the mid-upper 20's. I would try to cruise slow enough on plane to avoid spinning the mil at 5K all day long.

In your situation I would go with the 250 if the cost of twins would be the deal-breaker. A Gulfstream with a single is better than no Gulfstream at all. Check out all the things that Fishtales outlined above.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Oh yeah, it'll be a bit challenging to horse that thing around a dock in windy wx or bucking a tidal current. The widebody aspect of that boat, (9' 3" beam vs 23' length) makes close quarter maneuvering with one prop something to concentrate on.

However, a dose of seamanship, a fair knowledge of what boats do against wind/current and you'll be fine.

Grady offered that boat with a single 250 back then. They wouldn't have made it an option if they wern't sure it would perform for their customer. I yell "twins" because they're better, but you'll love that boat with a single as well. It's the best 23 footer out there, I think.

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 1998 232 that I bought new with a 250 2 stroke. I replaced it with a F 250 and have been satisfied since day one. I also have the cable less throttle control which I love. Twins are great but cost and double maintenance to me is a issue if you are not a regular going offshore. I fish Chesapeake Bay and coastal waters where it preforms just fine for me..

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a 2004 with an F225 HP and it had plenty of power, although it is always nice to have extra power if the budget permits. The backing into a tight dock slip was a bit of challenge but as stated after a while you figure out how to get I done. The Gulfstream is a great boat and rides and handles the water like a much bigger boat.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had one with a single 250 3.3L and it was great. 15.75X15P Prop

Coach1575

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I picked up a Gulfstream last year that was an estate sale. It is a single 225 4 Stroke. The price was so good I could not pass it up. I stepped down from twin 26 Regulator so going to a single takes some getting use to. Looking to repower with a 300 in the near future. If the hull is in good shape and the price is right I would not hesitate to jump on it. There is a lot of good information on this site in regard to getting the right prop for your particular needs.

Viking88rd

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hi, we had a Gulstream for 15 years that was powered with a 2 stroke Yamaha Saltwater Series 250....mounted on a bracket.
Never felt underpowered.....except when fully loaded with fuel & 4 adults.

Coach1575

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I emailed Grady Customer Service when I started thinking about repowering and was told not to put more than a 300hp on a single bracket gullfstream

UCPA111

Reaction score
Hmmm....well...could always replace bracket too. :) Good luck. I'd love to see what a 400 would do on one.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Interesting; Twin 200's like mine had is acceptable. Both 200's would weigh more than a single 400. I guess they're concerned about the torque maybe?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The concern is likely because the weight is focused on a small attachment area to the transom with a single bracket - and also right in the center where there is more "leverage". The twin bracket has attachment points spread out further along the transom - with some of it being nearer the corners, where the transom is stronger. I would imagine that there's an inverse relationship between the bracket size and the weight that can be handled by the bracket/transom. In other words, a bracket twice the size of a single bracket would likely have MORE than twice the weight carrying capacity.

Speaking of that... there's the easy way to hang a single 400HP... just use a twin bracket! Or reinforce/mod the single to attach to the transom over a larger area.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That makes sense. I hadn't thought about the weight distribution and the bracket arrangement.

That's why I stayed in rock-n-roll and out of R&D and design. I can make people dance but would've sunk their Gulfstreams...