Grady 232 vs. 228

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new Grady. Previously have owned Pursuit 335 and EdgeWater 208cc. The Grady walk around is the right fit for my current use. Prefer everything about the 232, but trailerability is important. I make one or two 600 mile round trips a year to the west coast of Vancouver Island. I own a 2014 Ram 1500 club cab with Hemi v8. Is the 228 a better fit for me? Not crazy about upgrading the truck. I'm very experienced with trailering smaller boats. I take my EdgeWater everywhere. Thanks in advance!

G8RDave

Reaction score
The 232 is a much bigger and heavier boat than the 228. What is the towing capacity of your truck?

Reaction score
About 8,000 pounds is the rating. Don't have the gear ratio for the higher rating.

G8RDave

Reaction score
My 228 comes in at about 6500 lbs, with trailer, mostly loaded and ready to fish. The 232 weighs just over 1,000 lbs more than the 228 before you add motors. I think you would be pushing the limits with your current truck. It has a much bigger, nicer cabin though if you plan on sleeping on it.

Reaction score
The 232 would be a bit more than your current tow vehicle could handle but with the wider beam and the added weight it is much better suited for the waters off WCVI than the 228 is. My boat loaded with fuel and gear including the trailer weighs a bit north of 9000 pounds.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Agree with the others; Your truck will be close to or at the cap. Keep in mind the 232 has a 9' 3" beam, requiring a permit to tow legally. The permit you need will vary from state-to-state, making it somewhat of an aggravation compared to towing a 228 which comes in at 8" 6". Also keep in mind you'll be near or at 12 ft vertical clearance with a hardtop/GPS antennas etc. This requires an increased awareness of low-hanging tree limbs, power lines in rural areas and low roofs around fuel islands.

The weight of my 232 is 10,100 w/heavy-duty trailer.(two 7000 lb axles.) I trailer with full fuel, twin 200's and lots of stuff aboard, however. I have a Dodge dual-wheel diesel, so it doesn't matter; I get 10-11 MPG loaded or empty.

The xtra hassle you'll have on the road will be rewarded at sea, however. I have owned both boats and the 232 is a much better riding boat. More stable and much roomier with the 9' 3" beam. You will live in the world of 2.0 MPG most of the time with twins, but the boat rocks.

I wouldn't pull a 232 with your current truck, however. I hate to be a buzz-killer, but I think you need a bigger rig for the 232.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A 228 is plenty of boat for the west coast of Vancouver Island. I would not attempt to pull a 232 up there even with a diesel.

I fished all over the Island with a 17' Silver Streak. I towed it with a Dodge Cummins with while hauling a truck camper. I would not want to be pulling a wide load on most of the roads leading to the inlets or even to Ucluelet/Tofino or Port Renfrew.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just a minor correction that may or may not matter to you; the 228 is only 8' wide, not 8'6" as mentioned. That's why it's such a difference to the 232.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for catching that Grouper; I thought the Seafarer was 8' 6"

Reaction score
Grouper Duper said:
Just a minor correction that may or may not matter to you; the 228 is only 8' wide, not 8'6" as mentioned. That's why it's such a difference to the 232.

The 232 is a little big to trailer. The 228 is a little small...and dated. A WA with the new DC 335 hull would be just right! ...and perfectly matched the the Yami 300. Any chance? I would be the first buyer.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The 228 is a 22 foot boat...I dont know if it is any smaller than any other 22 foot walk around. I have had mine since 2009 and the boat is quite roomy for a 22 in my opinion. Is it as roomy as the 232, nope. It is though with the bracket a spacious boat. You need to sea trial it to rule it out or not. I always want a bigger boat, but the 228 is a great 22 footer. I have taken her to the Bahamas and routinely fish 40-50 off Florida's east coast on her. This year we are running to the Dry Tortugas on her.

If I had a choice and trailering was not an issue and I could chose between the 232 and 228, I would chose the 232 because it is a bigger boat overall. Since trailering is an issue, the 228 is a solid option for you.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I tow a 232 with a Tundra and its fine. For long trips I try not to have a full tank in the boat as that adds almost 1000lbs. I suspect your ram would be ok too. Be sure your brakes work well on both trailer and truck.

You are correct, the 232 is a great all around, highly capable boat.

buguy

Reaction score
I have a 230 with twin 150's and I sure feel it even with my 2015 ram 2500 cummins. That's a lot of boat to lug around. I really never notice the width to be a pproblem when trailering, but I don't go that far. Mine is plenty rocky though. Two axle trailer. Awesome boat offshore. Terrible inshore though. Too big and tough to anchor. Sometimes I wish I would have gotten a bit smaller one.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I just ran 70 miles from the Dry Tortugas to Key West in snotty 3 foot stuff with 3 to 4 second intervals. Did it around 20 knots. A little bit of white water on the windshield and curtains . Lol. I would not have minded having the 232 under me today. With that said the 228 did pretty well. Never felt unsafe.

We met a guy with a 25 foot Sea Pro walk-around with a 250 Yammy at Fort Jefferson. Met him at the ramp in Key West. We talked some and he ran the same run today and at Rebecca Shoals. He was only comfortable running the same stuff at 13 mph. Now I suspect the boat could handle more. Point is though the 228 is quite capable .

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'll add that, weight-wise, the 258 is situated between the two you're considering. It has longer waterline hull length than 232, but is narrower at 8'6".

When we sea-trialed the two on bumpy days, I thought the 258 took a head sea a bit better and the 232 handled following seas a bit better. Not a significant difference either way, as I recall.

The 232 cabin is more livable for a weekend.

The 258 has the fishier transom, in my opinion. That's because I like the extra set of rod holders and the ability to more easily walk a fish around the engine. We drift and kite fish a lot with a sea anchor out. So we don't use the engine to position the boat during a fight so much. But you do lose fish box space.

For me, I would want twin engines on a 232. We opted for a single on the 258 and have been very happy with that. Plenty of power and reasonable good on fuel.