Grady 235: windlass or not?

Reaction score
I'm ordering a new 235. and plan to keep the boat for a long time. I anchor rarely. What's the general feeling re: windlass or not for Grady 235?

Mr Mac

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
When you have it and rarely use it, it is far better than not having it and needing it! Just be sure to exercise it once in a while.

This comes from someone who owned a '97 Sea Ray 330 Sundancer. We too rarely anchored, but, when we did, it was nice to sit back and let the windlass do the work!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
A windless is one of those things that once you have a boat with one, you will never have a boat without one.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you intend to use the windlass as designed and as the instructions indicate, it is only beneficial for deep water rode retrieval. Technically you still need to tie the rode off on the bow when anchored and also set the safety pin to prevent it from accidentally dropping once retrieved. My guess is most use it like a winch and don't bother to tie it off or set the safety pin. Doing so will result in shorter windlass life and potential failure, but ignorance is bliss till that happens!

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I have a Fisherman 236 with the windlass. I live and fish in the Houston area on the shallow (<6ft) Galveston Bay. I use the windlass every trip, sometimes as many as eight or ten times per trip depending on how many spots I go to.

Get the windlass and you won't regret it.

Reactions: GH236

Sailfish

Reaction score
As others have said it is like an autopilot. Once you have one, you can't understand how you ever boated without it.

It is not a winch, so do slowly power up to keep slack in the line when retrieving the anchor. Tie the rode off when at anchor, and put the anchor pin in when the anchor is in the pulpit to take load off the windlass.

Reaction score
wow! thanks for the quick follow up. I guess it's like 4 wheel drive......when you need/use it, you cannot imagine how anyone goes without it. I was thinking it might be more like the Jacuzzi tubs.in new homes....great for resale but rarely used.

JM321

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I have it on my Freedom 235, worth every penny. Like others have said, it’s important to use it correctly.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Have you tried to retrieve it without one? I did when I got my 252G with pulpit. I found it to be near impossible to try to find an easy way to stand up on the pulpit or in the walkway and try and retrieve it while bouncing around in 2-3' seas. Very quickly, I researched and found out how to install one and made it happen. Best decision I made as an upgrade except for my autopilot....;)