Grady 241 info

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Anyone have, or had a 241 w/a, I/O Grady? I just bought one to replace the 22 Seafarer I should have never sold, and would like to hear owners', past and present, comments on this model Grady. Mine is a 1989 with recently installed new crate mercruiser 350, and new outdrive. They show 250 hours and look good. Hull looks good also, and I didn't find any soft spots except on one cockpit floor removable deckplate. Boat has been sitting for several years though, and needs a complete going through to get back in shipshape condition though. Any info or headsups on this model will be appreciated. Mike

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's an Alpha1 drive, Jeff. I see you have a Kingfish. I used to have a '79 Kingfish with twin 470s. They were great engines, and very economical. Really liked that boat.

JeffN

Reaction score
That was my original power package too. Repowered in 2007 with a Mercruiser 496 with a Bravo I drive. Probably a bit lighter than the twin 470s, I really like the new motor and drive. I feel that it is at least as economical as the twins, actually probably more so and I cruise a bit faster than before. Well You have experience with I/Os so you won't find the new boat scary, did your last boat have I/Os or outboard? I was going to offer I/O advice but you already know the drill. With the new motor and drive you should be good to go. Did they replace as an entire package or just the motor and drive? Unfortunately I don't know much about the 241s. I know a few people that had them back in the 90s but I never really spent any time aboard any of them. They were popular in our area back then. They seemed like a nice boat. I redid the cover over my gas tank before last season - no big deal. I also made a new panel for the rear of the cockpit. I had replaced that once before but I had someone else do it and it did not last. I think mine should be good for a while. Other than that I can suggest to check the fuel lines I replaced mine a few seasons back. Also does the 241 have the fish box between the helm seats that drains at the water line? I replaced that at the same time as my fuel lines. On my boat if that hose lets go the ocean comes in. The nylon thru hull was cracked almost all the way around when I removed it. Replaced with bronze. Oh if your cockpit drains exit below the water line on your transom you might want to pull them and see if they were sealed properly at the factory. I had to replace my transom when they repowered, mine was punky. I asked the tech at the yard if the water entered through the drive openings he said the drive openings were nice and tight but he showed me the drain fittings and they were NEVER sealed just drilled and screwed on.

So not so much info on the 241 just some age related observations on my part. IIRC you have a few threads on repairs you have done so you will be fine. Let us know what you find when you get into it. I always enjoy a "working on an older Grady" thread. Enjoy the boat!

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the headsups on those drains and thruhulls. I think I'll change all these over to bronze, and check or replace the drain hoses. This model does have the baitwell/fishboxes/coolers behind helm seats so I'll be sure to thoroughly check and replace as necessary drains, etc. The engine/outdrive was a complete replacement, so that's a plus. I'm looking forward to getting her shipshape and out in the blue. Other than the Kingfish and this 241, I've had two 22' Seafarers at different times. Both were outboard powered. The last one I did a documented transom rebuild which is around here somewhere. Also did both deck covers, cabin bulkhead, repowered with twin Tohatsu 115s, wiring, hydraulic steering, and tons more. then, after getting it in tiptop shape, I foolishly let it go. Won't do that again.

I personally prefer I/Os to outboards. I'm more comfortable working on them, and keeping them in good operating condition.

JeffN

Reaction score
That is awesome that the previous owner replaced the entire I/O. I did not search but thought that you had several threads on your projects. I like the I/Os also, when I repowered I priced adding a bracket and OB but the cost estimate was quite a bit more than my I/O repower. Am very happy with everything so far. This season I had to spring for a new canvas enclosure, next winter I am going to try and add some more tackle storage. I would like to find a slightly newer Sailfish to check out the tackle storage they added under the companion seat. My port seat is on tall pedestal, in (maybe) '87 they mounted the seat on a storage cabinet on short pedestal . If anyone owns a Sailfish with this feature I could use some pictures by the way. Most of my major projects I THINK are done, she looks good and runs well. I really do like the old Gradys.

Have fun with yours.

noXcuse

Reaction score
VeroWing said:
I personally prefer I/Os to outboards. I'm more comfortable working on them, and keeping them in good operating condition.
Amen! Sorry I don't have any advise on your boat. I just wanted to chime in and let you know that you're not alone on that. The only outboard boats I'll ever own are ones that are too small for an inboard engine. That's what steers me away from any of the new Grady's. I'll most likely never own one just for that reason. Sucks bad that they went that direction with their lineup.