Grady 257 Fisherman. 200 vs 150

Consultantfool

Reaction score
Hello

New to the Forum. Have to admit have always been a Wahler fan. Currently have a 18 Whaler and have been thinking about moving up. Have Whaler dealer and Grady dealer close by. The Grady dealer is closer and he has a couple used ones that are more in my price range. The other issue is that I would prefer Yamaha power over Mercury and as we all know Whaler is tied to Mercury. My questions for the forum is this. If I can convince myself to buy a newer boat I am wondering about power. The local Grady dealer has a new 2017 257 with twin 150's and a used 2012 used with twin 150's. Are the 150's big enough for that boat. I found a 2016 with twin 200's but it is a couple hours away but I did get quoted a pretty good price. The other question is about the 257 and how it sets in the water. I dock in a river that has lots of algae etc. I need to make sure the motors come completely out of the water on the 257. Anyone had experience with this boat and motor package? Thanks for your input.

Finatic

Reaction score
I have a 2005 257 with F150s and when the engines are tilted up they are generally completely out of the water. If they are not raised with the steering straight mine will have about 1" of the lower unit in the water. As far as performance is concerned, I think it's the right combination. I fish primarily offshore and I can usually cruise around 25-28 mph while maintaining around 2mpg. There have been a few times when conditions have been flat and even loaded down with fuel, ice, and gear I was able to run around 40mph. The 257 is a great boat and really handles the rough water well. I went from a 232 that I loved and I have to admit the 257 rides a lot better, less pounding. Hope this helps.

william1958

Reaction score
I fish offshore on my friends 257 w/150s
Runs great very economical. We've never needed more power.
I wouldn't think the cost of bigger engines would be worth it.

Not sure where you are located... but here is one at the dealer where my buddy got his...

http://www.taylormarinecenter.com/pre-o ... erman.html

Feel free to ask anything specific... I can check with my friend.
Will

Cmd176

Reaction score
I have a 257 with twin 150 Yamaha 4 strokes. Usually cruise 4000 at 29 using 2.2 gpm. Top speed is around 43 at 5600. I am a big fan of the boat and when I repower I will probably go with the 150's again. The motors definitely sit out of the water when raised. Feel free to ask any other questions or thoughts on the boat.
Chris

Consultantfool

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feed back. I am not sure what to do. The 2016 with the 200's is tempting but its 2 hours away the other one is literally 2 miles from my house but the dealer doesn't seem to want to deal too much. Boat show is coming up next month so maybe they will have some more incentives. Couple more questions. I believe both boats do not have a marine stereo. Do these boats come wired with speaker ports etc so all you have to is install the stereo's? The one with the 200's has no electronics. Has anyone installed their own electronics. Are these boats pretty dry or do you need to get side counsel curtains. I am on Lake Erie so we don't get swells more the light chop!

Consultantfool

Reaction score
Do the 150's and 200's both have electronic shift? I think I read something where the 150's are not but the 200's are.

Cmd176

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that is one of the nice advantages to the F-200's and it's not offered in the 150's. Looking at performance numbers, the difference from the 150's and 200's are not that big.
As for the curtains, I find the only time I get wet with spray is when I have my wife on the boat....she seems to point it out pretty well. Honestly though, the boat is pretty dry unless there is a strong cross wind pushing the spray back. Normal head or quartering sea I usually remain dry and don't need the side curtains.
Finally, you can download a 257 manual and it shows the wiring. Since the stereo system is in the manual I would think it is pre wired. Mine came standard with Kenwood receiver, 2 speakers and Sirius antenna but I can't speak for every boat. That is one thing I would like to upgrade in my boat but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Good luck with your search. I am really happy with mine and have had it for 2 seasons. It's a very versatile and quality made boat. I use it for everything from family skiing and dinner trips to fishing tuna and shark 30 miles offshore.
Chris