Grady 257 Transom Cap Plate

Tomfish1

Reaction score
Good day all,

I am new to the website and to the Grady White line, however in my short time owning my 257, I can say without doubt the boat is outstanding in every way.

I do need some direction with one item on the boat. I have noticed some corrosion on the aluminum transom cap which runs across the back of the transom under both motors. It appears to be a possible water intrusion path. Have done a bit of research and from what I can see, this may have been a weak point in some of the older models. What is the recommended maintenance for this area? The boat is a 2003 model / advance 257 with 600 hours on twin 150 Yamaha’s.

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

tom

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I asked Grady customer service the same question recently regarding my 1997 Marlin. They said to reseal it every other year without. I recently did just that, peeled away as much of the current silicon as I could and then resealed the best I could. Not sure how well that works but i wasnt removing my 2 engines to reseal.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Keep a close eye on that molding and be sure it is always sealed completely, including the screw holes. Keeping water out from under there is probably the most important step you can take in preserving the integrity of a Grady hull.

rwhitney

Reaction score
I have an 81 220 and didn't notice the aluminum trim had rotted away under the engine until I found that the transom was beginning to buckle under the weight of the engine. I knew there were problems at that point so I removed the 225 Evinrude and trailered the boat to two different marinas for expert evaluation and advice. Both told me that the transom was rotted and needed to be repaired but the stringers looked solid. With quotes nearing what I paid for the boat I decided to tackle the repair myself using a method involving Wests 6ten. I used the boat all last season and so far no signs of movement. Poor design on Grady's part leaving a gap between the hull and deck. I bought replacement angle aluminum at a local home improvement store and sealed it up good with Life-Seal. I'll have to check it regularly but there's no chance of further water intrusion with the Wests.