Grady 282 bought through Great Grady, and a thank you

HaleNalu

Reaction score
It pays to keep looking at forum classifieds! I for one would like to say a big thank you to Great Grady for being up and running, and for having a classified section that people can freely post to.

Several months back there was a 1 line post from a new member that simply said they were selling their 2005 Grady 282. Since I was in the market for that exact model, and I had been looking diligently for a few months, I started dialog with the owner. As luck would have it, the owner was incredible to work with. He was patient, reasonable, willing to accommodate, and we were able to come to an agreement. He was looking to get his boat moved so he could move up, and I was looking to get a great deal on a 282, without broker fees, issues, etc. During the whole process the owner worked with the surveyor, and then with the local Grady dealer, the mechanics, and the trailer guy I arranged. Can't say enough nice things about the owner, Grady White customer service, or the local Grady dealer. Honestly, in my opinion, this is the way a transaction should occur. Open, honest, thorough, and secure.

The end result is that I feel that I got an incredible good deal on the 282. She has 115 hours, and looks for the most part like a brand new boat. She finally arrived last week on her new 15k lb trailer, and she is everything I hoped she would be. I had seen a lot of pictures, but last Thursday was the first time I actually got to see her in person. This is my 2nd Sailfish, the last being a 252. I loved that boat, and was sad to see her go, but replacing with a 282 takes some of that sadness away. :D

Anyway- I just wanted to say thanks to those that operate this forum, and thanks to the members that post. It is amazing to me that I could find a boat 2400 miles away, never actually see her, go through the buying process, and have her in my driveway today all because of an internet forum. How cool is that?

Here she is...more pictures on the water later....

24510_1376798932439_1005815805_31096967_269432_n.jpg

232 GULF

Reaction score
A big congrats goes out to you and the seller. Sounds like everyone involved is happy....it's too bad those kinds of transactions don't happen more often

We're hoping for the same kind of luck you both experienced. We're in the market for the same boat, same year as well. Hope you have the best of luck with her.

What is she powered with?

HaleNalu

Reaction score
Thanks. It's a tough go buying long distance. My previous purchase on the Grady 252 was also sight unseen. That process was a nightmare as I dealt with a broker that was a liar and didn't know squat. Fortunately for me, the boat itself turned out to be great.

Even with a good seller, buying long distance is not easy. Arranging surveys, meet times at the boat, arranging transportation, doing the financing, and more is draining and exhausting. The end result is worth it, and there is a lot of relief once you get the boat home, but it sure isn't fun.

The boat is powered by F225's. There are some with the 250's out there, but not a lot, and most are quite a bit more. I've spent a lot of time on a 282 with F225's, and operated it in nasty seas in a number of tournaments so the 250's don't mean much to me.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
good luck - she looks like a brand new one - With 115 hours it is not even broken it yet - Good luck

HaleNalu

Reaction score
Wow- Here's a boat update for everyone.... Been a little too long.... From a Michigan cruise boat, to what she was made for....fishing!

Great first year for the Sea-J out on the NW Pacific. Fished great all season long. Hundreds of tuna came aboard, and managed to get Big Fish for the final event of the Oregon Tuna Classic in Garibaldi for 2010.

Here's some summer pics....

Home in her slip in Depoe Bay, OR.

149257_1648867773990_1005815805_31743274_3862174_n.jpg

The first tuna trip of the year.....

main.php

Departure for the starting line of the Garibaldi OTC..

46565_1543660505022_1040274242_1568778_4575674_n.jpg

A rare, glass flat day on the NW Pacific!

62745_1616041404720_1346882173_1636888_6084225_n.jpg

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats and what a sweet ride... :D enjoy her.... it is amazing to me how big these boats really are... she dwarfs everything else around her...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I like it when a deal comes together!

You have the last iteration of the boat model that started out a long time ago.

And you say it's like new! It is new ! Compared to my 18 yr old 252G.

Grady's Joey Weller himself at the NY boat show a few years ago tried to talk us into a trade-in, but no deal, I said why? What do I get more of on a new one ?
All he could think of was if mine had the SeaV2 hull, I beat him to it - YES IT DOES.

It's a crying shame they ended the production in favor of a replacement model called a Chesapeake, at a bump up in price.

I've had mine for 10 yrs, last 5 of which on new power.
At least another 3-5 to go!
Just installed a 6500 BTU reverse cycle AC last year, wide screen TV, all new console mounted big screen electronics, and 3rd battery.

HaleNalu

Reaction score
BobP- I think you might appreciate the boat that I sold just before purchasing this one..

A 1992 252G repowered with 2006 Yami HPDI's.. Great boat.

The first Sea-J.

main.php

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I do, and that's a great photo, no other profile on the water can be confused with it.

And the motor technology, weight per HP, price, and fuel economy at 200HP today still have no equal, some 12 yrs after introduced.

I'd be jealous if I didn't already have the same combo !

Best wishes and plenty of fish blood stains to come on your "new" ride. I see it has been initiated in the proper way already!

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great looking boat, I purchased a 265 express off an add from the forums and had the boat towed 3200 miles to the west coast. Bought it from photos supplied, seller was a private party and everything was as he said. I was very pleased and the Grady White forums have been a great source of info. Bill