Grady 33 Express Questions

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Some of you know I have my Marlin up forsale and have been looking for a boat with an island berth to make it easier for my wife to get in and out of... we try to spend most weekends on the boat and with her hip and knee problems it is difficult for her to get in and out of the Marlin berth. My search was limited mostly to Tiara & Pursuit 34/35'ers. I have figured that these boats need diesels to keep the canyons within range... with gas engines the burn rate is about .6mpg and with diesels it jumps to over 1.0-1.2mpg. The search for a clean low hour diesel is proving futile. So the Grady 33 Exp may be back in the running... my questions are for those 33 owners with first hand experience: do you guys use the mid berth or v-berth? Is the v-berth easier to get into than the smaller boats? Can you sit up to read in the v-berth? How is it watching TV from the v-berth? What are your thoughts on the center helm? Is it tight trying to get past the helm seat when moving items in and out of the cabin? I have been partial to starboard helms and need some unbiased thoughts on this. Also... any other pros or cons you want to mention?

astrajls

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We have a 2005 330 that we use primarily for cruising. I find that the V berth is comfortable for two to sleep, but naturaly, the feet are a little tight. It is pretty easy to get in and out of. We did add a foot stool in the space under the stowage bins that really helps. You can sit up on both sides to read comfortably. I added two reading lights on the same circuit that the V berth down lights are on. Watching TV from the starboard side is comfortable.

As for the helm: I like the center helm, but do find it to be a bit tight getting past, especially if the seat is slid all the way aft. Sliding it forward helps.

The 330 is a great platform and we really enjoy the time we spend on it. I hope this helps.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
we haven't done much overnighting, but we found the V to be comfortable. the tv is flat screen on an articulating mount, so viewing from just about anywhere is good. the table also drops down and makes a pretty nice berth area (might be great for your wife depending on how tall she is). i really like a center helm (moved from starboard on a 232) and we can get around fairly well, but we have an '09 (redesigned) with the flip up bolster helm chair. if you could, find someone local to you (with the model year you are looking at) and spend a little time on it moving around; more than a quick boat show tour. that should give you an idea of comfort for you. good luck, ron

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
You might consider a 360. The setee in that boat turns into the equivalent of a small double bed. You can only sleep one on it but it is EASILY accessible and quite comfortable unless your wife is 6 feet tall. You can see the TV from there or anywhere else in the main cabin. then YOU have the full v berth to yourself.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.... you eliminated my major concerns. I'm adding the 33' to my list. Love to have a 36 but it's way out of my price range. Thanks again.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I don't know whether you are looking new or used but you can get a used 36 in great shape for less than a new 33 fully rigged.

gulfcart

Reaction score
I have an '08 33 Express. In less than 3 years we have close to 1000 hours and at least 12000 SM on it. It's perfect for may wife and I. We have spent weeks at a time on this boat. We anchor off shore fishing for days at a time. We also have taken multiple trips to the Keys etc. We're overnight on it almost every weekend weather permitting (Florida) :D . Even then we'll find some Marina to slip into. The hook ups work great as well as cable TV.
We strictly use the V berth. I have turned the aft berth into a "walk in closet". I have mounted a bar across the top to hang clothes and mounted two 3 drawer storage bins. One on each side. Storage before that was a little iffy. We lack for nothing on trips. The 1st mate loves it, and thats the first priority! I have the fish box freezer system which makes long trips no sweat. I added rod holders in the cabin. I now can carry 16 rods on board. Allows me to do anything I want as far as fishing. I added removable dive tank holders below the gunnels.
Lastly the Panda Generator on board is fantastic. I have had very little issues with it. It runs forever and easily powers anything on board. I have over 600 hours on it.
My only complaint for me is the center helm. Terrible engineering as far as I'm concerned. Pain in the A-- to get around. I know some prefer it. I don't have the seat that the '09 has.. It may make a difference.
My other negative would be the 350's... I know they are suppossed to be great, and they are when they are running. I've had many many issues with them. Yamaha has always stood by them but been very inconvient. Hopefully the kinks are now worked out.

Thats it! Ya can't go wrong with it! Unless you go 36'!!

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey Joe. Glad to see you are moving up in the world. I am still Marlin centric since it is the largest our marina can handle. It still suits my needs perfectly although this was a terrible fishing year for many reasons.

As for the 33, rafted up last weekend for the holiday flotilla with the same 33' for 5 of the past 7 years. Great boat and great people.
If you go used, I really like the improvements they made a few years ago (2007 ?) when it underwent a significant redesign. I also love the genny although I have encountered a few issues. Only the last one came out of my pocket however. I also hear great things about the freezer plate option for the fishbox. And don't forget underwater lights. Mine gathered tons of kudos last weekend.

Like a few other 300 fans here my perfect 33 would be a larger 300 since I prefer the dual helm and ease of access it affords. I do however love the lines on the 330. Great boat. Keep us posted.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also had a 2007 330 (Mega, changes came out in 2008) and i was very happy with the boat. She is great for overnighters and also staying on the boat for a few days at a time. I also had the freezer plates in the transom and also under the port side seat. The transom cooler is a life saver( i also have it in the 336) for not to have to carry pounds and pounds of ice each trip. The freezer/fridge under the seat was even greater i think because all the drinks(soft drinks in my boat ONLY) and lunch would fit in there and out of the way from the regular fridge in the cabin. The cabin was really nice and big for a 33' express and the aft cabin was a real plus. I also had a problem with the helm seat been in the way trying to go in the cabin, so what i did was, i removed the the handles from the seat and believe it or not gave me much better access than i thought it would. If i was going to keep the boat i was going to change it with a small leaning post kinda seat, as i never seat down at the helm no matter how many hours i drive. Reason i gave that boat was that i always was a center console guy and every time a got an express boat(the 330 was my 3rd express) i regret it and went back to a c/c. Bottom line, if you are into a cabin style boat you can NOT go wrong with the 330, she is a great, great boat and she handles a lot more than you think she can handle. Maybe in a few years when i get older :mrgreen: i might go back to an express. Good luck with your boat hunting and if you go used, the 250's is plenty of power and much better in your pocket than the 350's :-| . Also, i had tested the 2008 with 350's (first year out) and the boat acted "funny" for some reason, maybe weight distribution issues with the heavier 350's, i don't know( i tested the 330 with 250's at the same day and at the same place), but i only tested the boat for an hour or so in a real real nice snotty day(that's what they are made for anyway). :mrgreen:

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the great input guys.... I'm focusing my search on 2005-2007 with F250's. The 2008's are really really nice but that year the price jumps considerably. The 33's aren't as readily available as you would think in this economy. Giorgos... if you were selling your 33' Exp today I would be in line to buy... that was a very well equipted boat in top shape. I remember drooling over it when POE was selling it.

Cummins... good to hear from you... I hope all is well.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Check out gradynorm. He has a 33 in that year range, I think a 2006. He was listed on the sale forum briefly and also entertained trading for a smaller (your) boat. I spoke to him when I was searching for my 33, which coincedentaly was from the same marina as his. He was really nice and very informative. I had already made a tentative deal with my boat's previous owner, otherwise I was considering it. In addition, if you want to blow my head off with a great offer, maybe I'll sell mine, but I really like it. I am actually waiting for my next boat to roll off the line with the new 300's, get lightly used by the first owner for a year or two, and then sold to me at a huge discount. Maybe in a couple years:)

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks George... I did talk with Gradynorm earlier in the year... he was actually looking into taking my Marlin on trade but the banks appraisal killed everything... they use the lowest book value and not market value. If I sell my Marlin, which I am trying t do, I will be back in touch with him.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Joe, I've been thinging about how to accomodate your wife's condition and you stay in Gradys!

in the middle of the V Berth on the 33X, whats in there? It isn't boat.

Since I'm a project guy, I'd look at modifying the middle section to make a slot, say 18 -24 inches wide by 3 - 3.5 feet long, this way she can walk in and sit and lift her legs up and over and lay down, just like one does at home. Same for getting up to use head. This is as close I can come to figuring out a center island style bed.
You can get the custom mattress with the slot cut onto it, and you can walk in and use the slot too.
Perhaps not so romantic but better than you taking the lower berth and she the V berth and having to sleep sideways in the V.

Otherwise she has to drag herself in and out of the V berth like now. And the lower berth is somewhat akin to sleeping on the floor, may not be any better for her getting down and up and have to crawl in there.

The 33X guys can say what's in the middle section, perhaps storage, A/C, or vacuflush. In any case, I bet I can make room for the walk-in slot.
With enough room and more technology can do a pneumatic folding shelf that hinges or rises up and down at the touch of a button to fill the V back in.

Then she gets more of the comforts of home in two ways: a lot more (opulant and spacious) cabin than the Marlin as well as less pain, and you get to stay in a Grady. It's a win win situation.

When I'm at the NY Show this year and if the 33X is there, I'm going to scope out the area in the middle of the V berth. Too bad it wasn't a month ago you asked - when we were still in the water, would have drawing plans all made up already from a 33X in my marina. We have plenty of Gradys out here !

Being the off season, marina wise, if the 33X is not going to be at the show - you can find out by contacting Grady HQ, I can run over to the Freeport or Hampton Bays dealer whoever has the boat. Just let me know. Would be glad to.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wow Bob... thanks for the offer to help with a design change. I never thought of that. I'll bet there is room for short a walk way in the center... I know it's open to the left and right but don't know how far in. There may be some sort of center line support down the middle to handle at least two fatties up in that berth and if that's the case it could turn into a major job. But definitely worth a look. I too will be at the boat show and I am hoping the 33 is there.. I want to get my wife up into that berth to see if it is any easier for her. I agree that the lower berth would be difficult for her to crawl in and out of. You just gave me a lot to think about.... thanks.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am almost positive that the A/C condenser is in the middle and behind that(going towards the bow) is another access hatch to access the bow thruster hutch. So i think what Bob said is doable. I really liked the hydraulic idea, neat. Bob, you get two thumbs up for this.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
NEM, thanks. Can actually leave the walk-in slot there but most certainly something more can be done.

Joe, I did some shopping on boatradderonline.com.

Plenty of 33X out there, some very good deals down south (FLA) as usual, and shipping costs are even more reasonable.

If you go back just 2 more years you can have repowered with fresh F250s same rigging and shipped up to your location for about $150K. Turn you Marlin over to Grady dealer for brokering.

There is one I see local in Mass with F250s with motor warranty remaining, a second one local that has Z300s, an unpopular motor, very unpopular, same deal with repowering as I expect that one to go way less on an offer to move it.
Forget the dealer in Conn., he's always sky high, in my experince. Some have bow thrusters so consider in pricing, but can always be added later.

Very common when not finding what one wants up here to go south, as I had to. Going north, west, or midatlantic no bargain. I hear one hires intermediary to check boat out, new owner never even goes down there (if so desired). A guy I met in marina bought two brokered boats sight unseen out of FLA, one a Sailfish.

Good luck.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks again Bob... I'm also following boattraderonline as well as yachtworld and boats.com. Plus I check all the dealers in the northeast,eastern great lakes and mid-Atlantic. I've thought about the Fla/Ga boats but most of those have been in salt 12mos a year... maybe that doesn't make a difference other than gelcoat oxidation but it worries me. BUT... if the price is right they are worth a look. I don't think I could buy a boat sight unseen... I'd have to go down there before closing a deal. My ideal situation would be trading mine in on a 33 that's been traded in... that saves a lot of sales tax $$$. I have POE and Spellman's looking for me. I wouldn't give my boat to a dealer to broker... at least not in Ct... I've seen how they work... their trade-ins go first and the broker boats seem to sit there forever. Most of the time their trade-ins never get advertised on their used boat listing... they are long gone.
Thanks for all your ideas and investigation. Even if I couldn't make the 33 berth act like an "island" berth I think it will still be a better situation for my wife just due to the wide open front access vs the narrow entry to the berth on the Marlin. Plus the 33 has a ton of storage space and a dinette that my wife can sit at and watch TV... right now she has to be on the post-side v-berth to watch TV on the Marlin. Look for my IM!!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Joe, sounds good.

as a point of info, when I bought my boat brokered at a Grady dealer in Maryland, there was no sales tax. Only a 100 buck registration/title fee (whatever that is). Boat had Maryland registration paperwork.

When I went to DMV in NY with papers to get NY title/registration was expecting to hand over NY sales tax check, but there was none due.
And I paid trucker just 1300 bucks from Ocean City to driveway on Long Island.
And I did drive down there, twice.

Don't know about sales tax in FLA but they do lift store those boats so no bottom paint - gelcoat blister issues.

In either case, your Marlin is a very desirable grady boat, the right age, superior condition I'm sure were cared for, and right motors.
I would buy it mysef if looking.
It will go fast.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob... that surprises the heck out of me about NY not hitting you for sales tax. Ct is 6% so a little less than NY. When I bought my 282 I registered it in Ct but asked NY DMV "Being I paid CT sales tax if I ever moved the boat to NY would they hit me for additional sales tax if I wanted a NY registration?"... they said yes!! They would charge me the difference between CT & NY ... so I would have owed them 2.25% Maybe you lucked out or maybe I got bad info. What they did for you sounds more reasonable... there was no sale involved just a re-registration.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Joe, it has been some time ago, I bet NYS changed the laws - wouldn't surprise me. Another way to collect revenue from us tax payers.

I do see the benefit of the trade ins as with cars, the difference being taxable.

Perhaps one day boats can be leased! Same benefit in taxes.