Grady 336 w/Yamaha 350s

DWiss

Reaction score
I have a Grady 336 with Yamaha 350s. With the engines trimmed all the way up the lower water intakes remain in the water. The boat is in the water from March to December, do I have to worry about growth in the water intakes? The bottoms of the lower unit were bottom painted (only the part that stays in the water) but I am more worried about growth inside the intakes. Should I be concerned?

Kevcros

Reaction score
Yes- You should be very concerned.....Please sell the boat to me !!!! :lol: :lol:

I would not worry--although surprised it sits that low---

deltarome

Reaction score
I think the engines are too tall to be raised up high enough to get the lower unit out of the water, especially with full fuel tanks and the gen set option.
I think you would get growth inside the water inlets if not protected. Ask the dealer as I would think others with same setup would have same problem. Ask Yamaha dealer as well.
Nice rig, I am Jealous!

Tashmoo

Reaction score
DWiss, I have a 275 with a F-350 and have the exact same problem see the included photo. I have pushed this through my dealer and now onto GW. I am not happy about having the intake underwater. I know that there is an argument that I/O's spend their life underwater and are fine but I don’t agree that they are fine and that is why I don't own one.

I have more tilt to use but my engine tilt is restricted from full up by a poorly designed stern light bracket that I am asking GW to address or sign off that the torpedo spending its life underwater will not be a problem. I will let you know what GW comes back with for an answer.
IMG_3030-L.jpg

[/img]

moklodge

Reaction score
You gotta lighten up a bit. At our marina, there are many brands besides G/W with this "problem". My dealer explained that it all relates to making sure the cavitation plate on the motor is within 1" above or below the keel of the boat at the transom. They could raise the engine beyond the 1" above but then you would lose trim range and risk cavitation. Just brush it off once in awhile. Don't be so lazy. It a boat for cryin out loud.

Stonewall

Reaction score
moklodge said:
You gotta lighten up a bit. At our marina, there are many brands besides G/W with this "problem". My dealer explained that it all relates to making sure the cavitation plate on the motor is within 1" above or below the keel of the boat at the transom. They could raise the engine beyond the 1" above but then you would lose trim range and risk cavitation. Just brush it off once in awhile. Don't be so lazy. It a boat for cryin out loud.

Don't hold back...tell us what you really think. :D

moklodge

Reaction score
You're right. After re-reading, maybe I need to lighten up too. I just get sick of hearing little issues get blown out of proportion. Stuff like this is what makes other brand owners generalize G/W owners as pu**ies. It's marine growth people. Buy a trailer if you don't like it!

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
moklodge said:

Considering the poster paid top dollar for this boat he has every right to expect those motors to ride above the waterline. GW slapped on the new F350's on the same old deck design and evidently the motor wells need to be deeper so you can tilt up those taller motors more and get the skeg completly out of the water. For GW's with F350's its a design defect and its a hell of alot of nerve for GW to expect the customer to live with this.

If the water pickups are underwater you can't just "brush off" any growth every so often and forget about it. You WILL get growth inside those pickup holes and it will restrict the amount of water entering the engine resulting in a slow rise in engine temperature over time. Why do you think they make outboards to tilt up in the first place ? To prevent corrosion and growth on the outside AND inside of outboard engines.

So many GW owners are so quick to make excuses for this company. GW designed and built it, they are responsible. If they can't fix it ask them to extend the warranties on those F350's.

moklodge

Reaction score
Southeast, you couldn't be more wrong. It's all about the cav plate position. I'm sure your dealer will raise the motor so your bullet clears but don't complain about the poor planing and cavitation of the motor. You got your clean bullet so sleep tight.

Next you guys are gonna complain that the anchor gets dirty when you use it and demand a new teflon coating that will never wear off and will stop the mud from sticking. :roll:

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
moklodge said:
Southeast, you couldn't be more wrong. It's all about the cav plate position. I'm sure your dealer will raise the motor so your bullet clears but don't complain about the poor planing and cavitation of the motor. You got your clean bullet so sleep tight.

Next you guys are gonna complain that the anchor gets dirty when you use it and demand a new teflon coating that will never wear off and will stop the mud from sticking. :roll:

Your post doesn't make any sense. You say raise the engine but then "don't complain about poor planning and cavitation" - thats your solution ?

And "anchors" don't need water to cool them or cost nearly $ 50,000 like twin F350s.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SEFLA: Do you believe the F350s will trim out of the water on the Reg 26 and SP 28? If not I suppose those builders are negligent as well, right?

DWiss

Reaction score
How did we get into a discussion of which boat builders were negligent? I was hoping someone would give me some maintenance tips if there really was as issue with growth on the water intakes.

Fishtales

Reaction score
My Marlin has the same issue with the F250s, although the intake is out a piece of the skeg is in the water.

I agree with SEFLA, there must be a way to design a transom that allows the engine to clear the water. Not a deal breaker by any stretch, but I'd rather have the entire motor out of the water, just like I want a drink holder next to the helm....

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the member who posted the question is not satisfied with the engines the way they are, take the boat back to your dealer and turn it in.

Buy a boat that you can fully tilt the engines out of the water, this boat is not for you.
After all, how many choices do you have given the situation?

As far as the intakes getting screwed up and causing problems because you can't fully lift them out of the water, then you are not familiar with outboard engine design, or have never seen a boat with an inboard or I/O - and wonder how they get the antifouling inside those long water passes!

No outboard, inboard, or I/O engine manufacturer will ever design such a motor that can't be in the water 100% of the time. There are many who dock in places there is no room to raise the lower unit at all ever, as well as the commercial boats used for dock building, bridge maintenance, etc.
Do you think these guys tilt their engines at the end of the work day, if so, why?

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thought I would add a little Aussie inovation......even though i have a 265 express and they have a brilliant transom setup.......how about getting an upholsterer to make up some vinyl waterproof bags that you can enclose the lower units with; syphon out the water and as we say here "Bob's your uncle " problem solved.
Personally i wouldn't want them in the water all the time if i had a choice either.
I guess you flush them so it should only be fresh water you are syphoning.....

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
megabytes said:
SEFLA: Do you believe the F350s will trim out of the water on the Reg 26 and SP 28? If not I suppose those builders are negligent as well, right?

Absolutely, if the lower units on those boats don't clear the water then they have a design defect and are negligent as well. Your logic implies 3 wrongs ( GW, Reg and SP ) somehow makes a right and excuses them all.

Face up to the fact that GW simply didn't check to see how the larger F350 would fit tilted up on the old transom design that they've been installing only smaller F250's on. Nor did they test to see if the extra 200 lbs per motor would drag the stern down enough to contribute towards putting the skeg on the F350 underwater.

If they had this wouldn't be a problem. They designed it and built it wrong, they are responsible. If it happened on your boat I bet you'd feel differently too.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If only the skeg is under water and the water pasages are above, it's not really a big deal and not worth gettig upset over. Now if the pick-ups are always underwater, there is an issue. Inboards have much larger passages and a little clogging isn't going to bother anything. If there is a problem, either GW didn't check with Yamaha or Yamaha changed their design.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Grog said:
If only the skeg is under water and the water pasages are above, it's not really a big deal and not worth gettig upset over. Now if the pick-ups are always underwater, there is an issue. Inboards have much larger passages and a little clogging isn't going to bother anything. If there is a problem, either GW didn't check with Yamaha or Yamaha changed their design.

As the original poster wrote, "I have a Grady 336 with Yamaha 350s. With the engines trimmed all the way up the lower water intakes remain in the water.", - so there's a problem.

I will be very interested in seeing how GW handles this. Unless they have some creative solution I do not see an easy way to fix it. I certainly hope they don't blow it off and tell owners "not to worry about it". I also hope they don't attempt some goofy fix like putting weight in the bow to offset.

GWs are some of the highest priced boats out there and owners have every right to expect top notch performance and after sale service, even with tough problems like this one.