Grady Adventure 208 Radar help

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Just bought a Garmin Fantom 18. I have a factory hardtop should I mount the radar directly to the hardtop or should i mount it on a wedge ? Thanks for the help !

Reactions: Alweidner

mkslug

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There is a similar thread from a month or two back. I have recently had a Fantom 18 mounted directly to my 228 hardtop without any apparent issues yet. Several others prefer a wedge or lift/riser arm.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
the popular consensus is to mount on the hardtop with a 4 degree wedge to tilt forward. That way your radar is parallel to sea when running on plane.

I'll be doing that when I get a Fantom 18. I was holding out for a sale but seems that everyone sells them at list $1999 and now everyone is out of stock.
I'll probably get screwed with a price increase....

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
the popular consensus is to mount on the hardtop with a 4 degree wedge to tilt forward. That way your radar is parallel to sea when running on plane.

I'll be doing that when I get a Fantom 18. I was holding out for a sale but seems that everyone sells them at list $1999 and now everyone is out of stock.
I'll probably get screwed with a price increase....

Good call I’m gonna go with the 4’ wedge. I found remanufactured Fantom 18’s with warranties for 14-1500

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
FYI the stock mounting bolts dont fit when you add the wedge they are special bolts which are impossible to find.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I ordered a "remanufactured" Fantom 24 from Hodges yesterday$2400. there were only 3 left, no 18s left. They said its "new remanufactured" as in it was returned, tested and and repackaged. Garmin Warranty. We shall see.

There are no "new" radars out there. I spoke with West Marine they said Garmin doesn't expect to ship until June.
Some sites have had earlier "backorder until" dates but they have been pushing them back...
I don't want to get caught without a new radar after upgrading my other electronics. I have an old Raytheon.

With my luck they dump Fantom 18s out in the market a week after I get this one.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I ordered a "remanufactured" Fantom 24 from Hodges yesterday$2400. there were only 3 left, no 18s left. They said its "new remanufactured" as in it was returned, tested and and repackaged. Garmin Warranty. We shall see.

There are no "new" radars out there. I spoke with West Marine they said Garmin doesn't expect to ship until June.
Some sites have had earlier "backorder until" dates but they have been pushing them back...
I don't want to get caught without a new radar after upgrading my other electronics. I have an old Raytheon.

With my luck they dump Fantom 18s out in the market a week after I get this one.
It took me a while to find a used one from a credible person online after multiple scam attempts. I found it on The Hull Truth. Finishing the installation today after I realized my factory bolts aren't long enough with the 4 degree wedge last week.