Grady Bimini 306

reefraider

Reaction score
Hi there everyone -

I am looking to purchase a new to me Grady Bimini 306, and was looking for comments and feedback on those new Yamaha 350 engines. I really like the performance data I read, just wanted to see if anyone had some real life experiences with the engines...I have only read good things about the 250's, I just would like to have that extra power. I would appreciate all comments about the engines good and bad!!

grady 306 bimini

Reaction score
hello the 350 s are good motors BUT...... when it comes time to replace the zincs it will cost ALOT because of the internal zincs having to be replaced (motor has to be disesembled friend just went through the hassle) if i where you i would just go for the 250s they give more than enough power!
tw

striped bass

Reaction score
Reefraider:
Tashmoo can be of great help to you on the F350. He has extensive experience and can give you good guidance.
Yamaha has put out a technical advisory on the F350. Maker sure the fix has been applied to the F350. As I understand the issue, the fix is a new flywheel, new plastic cover that is vented, and new water pressure sensor. The rubber portion of the flywheel that assists in the balance is a problem. The rubber delaminates and allows the engine to suffer an out of balance condition and runs hot. Once hot it is running at a frequency that sets up a harmonic with the crank shaft that can result in the failure of the crank shaft. The solution as mentioned above is an updated flywheel, and a new plastic internal cover to assist shedding heat. The water pressure sensor is also replaced.
This problem will occur initially by the shedding of the rubber on the flywheel damper. The damper is a harmonic balance to the engine. As failure increases diagonal cracks show up between the rotor hub and the outer ring. Eventually there is separation that creates an inbalance that beats the crank shaft bearing out and takes the stator with it. This is all remedied by the technical fix. Make sure Yamaha has applied this before you even think about the boat.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Kevcros

Reaction score
Get the 250's-- She moves plenty fast with 250's and light on fuel--

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
grady 306 bimini said:
hello the 350 s are good motors BUT...... when it comes time to replace the zincs it will cost ALOT because of the internal zincs having to be replaced (motor has to be disesembled friend just went through the hassle) if i where you i would just go for the 250s they give more than enough power!
tw

Just an FYI, the F250s have the internal zincs also. Maybe not as many? I have mine replaced every other year at the dealer's recommendation. I don't recall what cost that added to the typical service, but that also means that it probably didn't add too terribly much. Dealer did say that not replacing them leads to a very big repair bill.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
grady 306 bimini said:
tw

Just an FYI, the F250s have the internal zincs also. Maybe not as many? I have mine replaced every other year at the dealer's recommendation. I don't recall what cost that added to the typical service, but that also means that it probably didn't add too terribly much. Dealer did say that not replacing them leads to a very big repair bill.