Grady Bracket stripped screw

white diamond

Reaction score
I have a 1992 Explorer 246G. One of the two screw holes in the aluminum bracket for the zinc anode bar has stripped. Now the zinc will not stay tight against the bracket and is allowing some corrosion. I don't want to use any dissimilar metals in repair that might make the corrosion worse. Has anyone had this to happen and what would be the best way to fix?

seasick

Reaction score
How many screws hold it in? In general, breakage or stripping of those bolts is common and can be a pain to fix. The head will have to be drilled out using a drill bit about the diameter of the head. That's just to drill the head off so that the anode can be removed. If you have some shaft of the bolt visible and you are very lucky, you may be able to soak the bolt with PB Blaster for a few days and then back it out using a vice grip pliers but more often than not the shaft will snap off. If that happens yo will have to make a ding using a punch and drill out the bolt using a sit smaller than the shaft diameter.
Use progressive larger bit until there is very little of the bolt left while at the same time being careful not to drill out the threads in the bracket. At that point you should be able to chip out the old bolt remains using a narrow punch or small screw driver. If the hole gets over drilled, you will need to retap to the next size bolt.
Make sure that new bolt is stainless steel.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Seasick, I think you got it wrong. He said the hole is stripped, I take it he means the thread on the aluminum is stripped, if so then Dennis has it right, re-tap to the next size up and use a bigger bolt.

seasick

Reaction score
Seasick, I think you got it wrong. He said the hole is stripped, I take it he means the thread on the aluminum is stripped, if so then Dennis has it right, re-tap to the next size up and use a bigger bolt.
I guess I should read the post more accurately!