Grady Cockpit Bolster Project

abielecki

Reaction score
Hi - I was inspired by the many posts on this forum concerning recovering/building coaming bolsters.
The solid backing material (the board that hangs on the stainless clips that the vinyl staples to) was the only thing I had to figure out on my own (high density pvc foam board), everything else I got from all of you on GreatGrady, many thanks!!

Andy
(908) 963-1997
Flemington, NJ

Attachments

• Cockpit Bolster Pads rs.JPG
    Cockpit Bolster Pads rs.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 2,118

abielecki

Reaction score
No Sorry - I cut the boards to size (have half of a 4x8 sheet left over), drilled the holes in them (for the brackets) and brought all the materials (a bunch of raw material left over) to a friend of mine who sewed it all up for me.

BCLII

Reaction score
How do the bolsters remove? I have a 2009 GW 205 and would like to remove the cockpit & bow and clean them as well as behind them (gel-coat) :hmm .

abielecki

Reaction score
BCLII said:
How do the bolsters remove? I have a 2009 GW 205 and would like to remove the cockpit & bow and clean them as well as behind them (gel-coat) :hmm .

If you look underneath the bolster you should see brass rings kind of like what what you see on the edges of a tarp where a rope would thread through. There is a screw in there somewhere holding the bolster to the gunnel. Remove those screws and the bolster should pop straight up off of the clips. The other way they were held to the gunnel was by bolts, if you look up the gunnel or feel up there with your hand you should feel bolts and nuts/wing nuts, remove those and the bolsters pop off.

BCLII

Reaction score
Thank you, I will give that a try this weekend. Yours look like new ones, very nice job!

abielecki

Reaction score
Thanks! If you look really close at the picture above you can see the small brass rings on the bottom edge of the bolster where the mesh vinyl is.

BCLII said:
Thank you, I will give that a try this weekend. Yours look like new ones, very nice job!

BCLII

Reaction score
Yep, sure enough, removed them this weekend and got then all cleaned up and treated with a 3M product. Now, I'm going to add 2-speakers in the bow and have the bolster in the front redone to go around the speakers. :D
thanks again, a wealth of information on this site!!