Grady dealer support in BC

bc282

Reaction score
Greetings fellow members,
i'm new to the forum as i have recently acquired a new to me 2002 GW 282 Sailfish. I'd post a pic but i think everyone knows what a 282 looks like.

I called Capstan Marine in Richmond, BC (vancouver) as they are now the closest GW dealer and got a rude awakening. They told me that they are so busy that they don't service boats unless the boats were purchased thru them, Grady boats or not. Not that i have any warranty issues with the new boat, but it would have been nice to know if i run into problems that a dealer who should know the boat the best is not going to be there.

I hope this is not the case for others in their areas.

On an up note, the boat is simply awesome and a dream compared to the 22`WA Campion it replaced and the fish seem to like the boat too.

dwain

Reaction score
Website
www.bodkinrealty.com
Grady

I would call Grady White's factory and inform them of your local dealer's statements. My local dealer is approx. 3 to 4 hours away and I purchased my boat in the U.S. Not certain what the dealer would do, and hopefully I will not have any problems. Let us know what Grady has to say regarding this dealer. Good Luck. Dwain :)

Average Joe

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new boat. Not trying to hijack your thread but I'm coming to Victoria, BC on 8/20 with my family to spend the day and from everything I've seen it sure looks like an awesome place to own a Grady!

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW places a VERY high value on customer service REGARDLESS of how a boat is purchased. Dealers must meet stringent guidelines to ensure every GW owner has a good boating experience. Dealers have been dropped for failing to meet GW standards. They did not win 7 straight JD Powers awards by accident. :D

I would recommend calling GW and reporting this to Eddie Rowe or Jeff Brown. Tell em Megabytes sent ya :D

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's the equivalent of telling the customer don't let the door hit you in the can on the way out.

Just can't believe anyone working for the dealership has been given such an authority to say that no matter how busy they are. I do recall the days when car dealerhsips used to say that, happened to me, never bought a car by that manufacturer again now 30 yrs later.

Grady HQ should be red faced and hell bent to get that mickey mouse nonsense retracted, and reach out to the customer with their sincerest apologies.

As a manufacturer you can never trust the dealerships of your products and who they hire, even family run businesses. Got to stay on their backs all the time.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dial this number - 252-752-2111. Ask for Customer Service....

Not acceptable, and also not the norm....

bc282

Reaction score
I spoke with Bert at Grady in NC this afternoon. He was very helpful in answering the question i had.

Just to set a thing straight, the dealer in BC like any other busy boat dealer, runs into times where they have work piled up for weeks or months and so it's impossible to help a boater. The dealer was not rude but sorry that they were booked for months for service. In hind sight, I'm hoping that his statement that they don't service boats, even Gradys, bought outside his dealership is due to the current work situation and not a permanent policy. As i've stated that my boat does not require warranty work, but wished to have someone best familiar with the product work on the boat, but the boat can be serviced by any good serviceman/tech.

thank u all for your input, regards.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While I understand short term work backlogs, a GW dealer still must meet GW criteria for customer satisfaction. If the service department is overwhelmed then it is the dealer's responsibility to address the issue.

It is not an urban myth that GW will continually monitor dealer performance and make adjustments accordingly. These may come in the form of price incentives for the best and loss of franchise for the poorest performers.

I'm not trying to evaluate this dealer but just emphasizing how seriously GW is about pleasing their customers in all phases of boat ownership. It is my understanding that the new requirements for their highest level of dealership (Admiral's Circle) includes sponsership of a GW owners club.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Listen to MegaB, he knows.

You're expectations of a Grady dealer and the very high priced premium Grady products they represent are way below par of what even GRADY HQ expects, from what I've seen. Sure you can accept it as you wish.

Grady dealers are integral to the company's success and winning how many now, eight JD Powers crowns?

On the other hand, your expectation and reasoning are entirely normal and in line with some other brands' dealers.

Any comments on less than par behavior of Grady dealers speaking strictly of what I've seen on this website are proper and done with the intention of getting things up to par. Any manufacturer or dealer who ignores this is short sided and doomed especially in these times.

Grady HQ still has their head screwed on properly, IMHO.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Listen to Bob :D

GW has won 7 JDP awards and at least as many from NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association). These are all about customer satisfaction.

Boat brands and designs can be argued until the cows come home but few can match the total boating experiece from GW. I will be the first to admit I've had a few defects and problems that developed after several years. In EVERY case GW and the dealer have stepped up and resolved to my complete satisfaction. This level of service is reflected in the premium price but I personally prefer the comfort of minimum hassle boating, especially since my boat is in our second home town.

I have been told that a dealer MUST score 90 or better on their CSI or they begin to lose price breaks, etc. When times are tight and boat builders will close, the companies with a loyal and satisfied customer base will survive.

bhemi

Reaction score
LOL - My experience exactly

I have an old (1992) Marlin. I live in Vancouver. Capstan has always treated me via phone, or in person, like "dirt". The only time they were ever pleasant was at the 2008 Vancouver Boat Show when I said I was interested in a new 33 Express. I haven't been able to obtain one part for my Marlin thru Capstan. It's been either the original manufactures or e-Bay or this board.

There is a terrible labor shortage for skilled mechanics in BC. Our season is May to the end of September for fair weather boating and people are missing half a season wating for parts and labor. Work is being billed at double and triple estimates.

The nice thing about my Marlin is that the systems are logical and I have done 80% of the work myself.

bc282

Reaction score
Re: LOL - My experience exactly

bhemi said:
I have an old (1992) Marlin. I live in Vancouver. Capstan has always treated me via phone, or in person, like "dirt". The only time they were ever pleasant was at the 2008 Vancouver Boat Show when I said I was interested in a new 33 Express. I haven't been able to obtain one part for my Marlin thru Capstan. It's been either the original manufactures or e-Bay or this board.

There is a terrible labor shortage for skilled mechanics in BC. Our season is May to the end of September for fair weather boating and people are missing half a season wating for parts and labor. Work is being billed at double and triple estimates.

The nice thing about my Marlin is that the systems are logical and I have done 80% of the work myself.

Sorry to hear that you share in similar discontentment with Capstan.
I guess i'm not alone and i guess my request for a part from them should not be hoped upon. That's gotta be the worst when they smile and treat you like gold initially and then when you've signed - your dirt.

How about transplanting a few laid off techs from down south at various boat mfrg plant?

All you tech's, mech's, etc, the pac NW may not have the hot southern sun, but it sure is beautiful. Do i have to mention Vancouver was voted in the top 3 places to live on this planet? I've travelled my share of venues and i really love going back to the Vancouver and to Van isle. my 0.02 :D