Grady drive inspection?

GMoney147

Reaction score
I own a 1992 Seafarer 22' with a Grady Drive. About 4 years ago we had to get a new engine installed which ended up being about 100 lbs. heavier than the original engine. We spoke with both GW and the Marina at the time and were advised it still fit the weight parameters of the drive. The boat still runs great, however, after having it at a marina for the winter, the mechanic made a comment about the grady drive and that he was worried abhout it dislodging/falling off the boat with continual wear and tear. Is there any truth to this happening or is this guy just trying to get me to spend money for him to "fix" it? It was my impression that the drive was mounted directly to the hull itself so unless it got hit by something or run into something, it would not "fall-off" so to say. The only other thing that may cause something like that to happen would be corrosion....however the drive itself is in good condition, it sanded and bottom painted every year, and has no history of leaks. Can someone please give me some background/color to this issue? If this is something that could potentially happen due to the weight of the engine....or just that it is 20 years old.....is there a way to remount/reinstall a grady drive to ensure stability? Any help/advice is appreciated. Thank you

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you use regular bottom paint and the coating of the drive is compromised, the copper will eat at the Aluminum. From the age I'd assume there are spots where the coating is missing so at the very least use a non copper based paint on the drive. It would take A LOT of corrosion for the drive to fall off, there would be holes from the pitting first and would be hard to miss. If the transom is rotted, the drive can also "fall off" but I've seen pics of pretty nasty transoms and nothing fell off. As long as there isn't water getting into the drive or seeping into the boat through the bolts and the transom is dry, I wouldn't mess with it. The extra 100 pounds hanging on the bracket isn't going to break anything. There is much more stress on the bracket/transom pushing the boat than the weight of the motor. Too much weight will effect the self bailing and how she rides.

If the drive is solid and no leaks anywhere the only added benefit of a new bracket is one can be installed with floatation so the boat might sit and drive better. Another is if you get a fiberglass bracket you can use the same bottom paint throughout.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have you checked for water inside the bracket? If it's dry it doesn't sound like the bracket's in that bad of shape. My bracket has always been totally dry although the powder coating has cracked around the engine bolts exposing the bare metal. It looks worse than it is and at some point I will have it either painted or powder coated.

gw204

Reaction score
While it is REMOTELY possible, it's very unlikely. If the bracket or transom were that compromised, you would see all sorts of other signs first.

GulfSea

Reaction score
People that tell stories dis-like details. If it were me, I would want to know specifically what made him think it could fall off?? And don't stop with that and let him off easy. Stay determined to get the detail that alerted him to such a fault. If he has a point, I would probably get a 2nd opinion before spending anything on it.

Now saying that, mine is an 08' and I've inspected it internally in great detail with an inspection camera. And I'll do the same every other year unless something occurs in between to indicate movement. Those inspection cams are so cheap it may be worth doing yourself if you feel confident enough to know what you're looking at.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Pull the plug everytime you have the boat out of water. Doesn't take but a small leak to put water in the bracket up to the waterline, though you'll probably never notice it. Water in the bracket, in and of itself isn't bad thing, but it's not supposed to be there. If yours has that cheap-assed plastice drain, I'd replace that first. A good re-seal, with a sealant and not 5200, is in order each time the inspection port is opened, too ...
:wink:

GMoney147

Reaction score
Thank you for the dialogue. It is extremely helpful and much appreciated!