grady drive questions

timmons

Reaction score
I'm trying to make decisions about a purchase. Right now I'm leaning towards the Grady 225. Guys, please tell me the pros/cons of the Grady Drive. It sure does make that boat look long, which might complicate things at the dock. But is the ride that much better? How about trailering issues? How much more should it cost? Help is appreciated. I don't fish much, and I take folks out for cruises a lot. It seems like a good choice for a Gilligan, three hour tour. Thanks again.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brackets effectively make the boat longer by freeing up room for fish boxes and the like, the powehead otherwise fills when mounted to a transom cutout.

Some say a full transom makes for a safer boat from the seas and the kids can't fall out.

I say the handling is not as good.

The cantilever effect of the same weight further back effects the boat's water line at the stern.

Drive boats are more expensive.

Some marinas charge more since the boat is longer overall (check with your marina).

Drives are made of alum alloy like your motor and require more service as they age, than having none at all.

Boat transoms with cutouts have to be sealed properly at the cut.

Boat transoms with drives have to be sealed properly at the bolt thru. penetrations.

Motors on drives are more vulnerable to water penetration and getting sideswipped with waves so careful attention to cowl seals is important.

Boats with drives especially larger ones can be quieter at the helm since the powerhead is outside the boat and partially blocked by the full transom.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
timmons said:
I'm trying to make decisions about a purchase. Right now I'm leaning towards the Grady 225. Guys, please tell me the pros/cons of the Grady Drive. It sure does make that boat look long, which might complicate things at the dock. But is the ride that much better? How about trailering issues? How much more should it cost? Help is appreciated. I don't fish much, and I take folks out for cruises a lot. It seems like a good choice for a Gilligan, three hour tour. Thanks again.
Timmons,
I have a 2008 225 and love the boat. For the last 21 years I had BW center consoles. The bracket does take a little getting used to but the advantages of having the engine off the transom to me are great! I love having the live well and fishbox in the transom. It also makes the fold down stern seat the best place to ride on the boat. The four stroke plus the extra distance allows you to have normal volume conversations in the cockpit while running. The full width swim platform is great for lots of reasons. Backing is a little different at first, but it does help to trim the engine up and it's nothing you won't get used to quickly.
My boat lives on its trailer and our ramps @ Lake Cumberland are very steep and long. The bracket has caused no problems what so ever in that regard. I use a My-Wedge instead of a transom saver and it has worked beautifully. Do check your tongue weight though. My dealer had to move the winch stand forward to get the proper amount of tongue weight and I have about 3-4 inches of bunk sticking out underneath the boat. That I'm sure is a direct result of the 600+ lbs motor on the bracket. But it is not a problem and doesn't interfere with the trim tabs. If you think of any other questions just let me know. I hope you like your 225 as much as I like mine!

striped bass

Reaction score
The bracket has added sustantial room aft in our Tournament 225 since there is no cut out for the motor. The noise factor is also reduced. David Pacsoe has reviewed many boat manufacturers and highly recommends against the cut out transom for safetty reasons. Now that I ahve a Gil Bracket I agree with him.