Grady for cheap

seasick

Reaction score
The asking price is in the correct range but the condition seems too good to be true. The person who listed the boat didn't say who supposedly did all that work. In addition, what's the big deal waiting a year if the boat is in as good a condition as stated.
It could be a decent boat but being from New York, I am a bit skeptical

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The asking price is in the correct range but the condition seems too good to be true. The person who listed the boat didn't say who supposedly did all that work. In addition, what's the big deal waiting a year if the boat is in as good a condition as stated.
It could be a decent boat but being from New York, I am a bit skeptical
Yeah, any prospective buyer would have to check all those things out, but the boat is in North Port, Florida, about 10 miles South of me. The trees in the background appear to be oak, which are very prominent here and the grass in the yard is a popular Florida type, so I think the boat exists. Also, all the houses in the pictures have hip roofs which are very popular here and the drainage ditch at the edge of the road is a regular thing here. One other thing I noticed is the expansion joints in the driveway to control cracking are sawed, which is the norm here in Florida instead of being formed in freshly placed concrete with a jointer tool. I think the ad is real and I hope it helps some young family get into the "Grady life" without putting them in the poorhouse.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like it's been posted for the past 23 days, which would seem to indicate that the boat is either priced too high or people have come to look at it and then passed on it for some reason. A few things to note personally for me, a 1990 is a pre SV2 hull and is during the time when they used the marine grade plywood as opposed to the Greenwood XL, which could make for a transom/partial hull replacement. I hate to say it, but even for only $11k I think it would still be too much of a roll of the dice situation for me. I will say though that for a boat that's over 30 years old now, that it does appear to be rather clean and in fairly decent shape.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Imo the area code for the phone number being out of state alone isn't by itself necessarily an indicator that it's a scam as lots of people move to different states and keep their old phone number. I think if you were to see an out of state phone number with very few pictures that didn't show the registration numbers on the side, an asking price that was half of what it should be worth and so forth...? Then that would honestly make me think it's a great possibility of being a scam. It's always possible that someone just saved pictures of a boat that previously sold from Florida and that they're using here, though from what I've seen the scams usually have 2-3 very blurry at best pictures that don't show any registration numbers or anything on them. That and as mentioned above, their asking price is typically half of what they should be asking for. Like I mentioned, it still could be a scam, though my gut instinct on this one is saying no, if anything I think the guy has the boat priced a bit higher than what it's worth, although again that's just my opinion.