Grady Freedom 255

Frank

Reaction score
There is a thread on this site, but there is not much information available yet.

I doubt there is even one built yet as the few pictures so far look more like artist renderings. Grady says the boat will be available this Spring, so presumably deliveries will occur by June. The boat appears to be based on the Journey/Advance hull. It will be interesting to see the boat in person and see how the layout works. It could be a nice setup with a hardtop and single 300 if there is enough room in the cockpit and enough storage.

Now if only we knew why it wasn't named a Tournament instead of Freedom. :eek:

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I just wonder if without the Gill bracket will there really be that much more cockpit space than the 225? The wider beam and extra weight should give it a better ride. It also looks they've drawn in a wet bar behind the helm seat like on the 275. I look forward to seeing all the final specs.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
My guess is that the cockpit area will be equal to or a little more than the 225. The increase in wetted hull in the water will make a big difference in ride. There is also a big segment of the customer base (me included) that wants a transom door and not a bracket. My guess is that this boat will out sell all other DC's in the lineup as long as they keep their list pricing in line at +/- $90K well equipped. The new 6 cylinder Yamaha 300 should help them get to this price point. This is where Pursuit is targeting for their new 26 DC.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It looks like a 225 topside dropped into a 24' hull - which makes perfect sense. Our 225 really feels like a 24' boat when you are in it. I would be very interested to see how different the ride is. My guess is that it will be very successful - pending cost of course. It looks like Grady's answer to the Edgewater 245cx. I must say, I wouldn't go 90k for one.

http://www.ewboats.com/245_crossover_21.html

Bama96

Reaction score
I like the full transom and the motor on a bracket. The euro transom is a total waste of space. The closed transom is why I bought the 225.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I like the full transom and the bracket too. It keeps the kids in the boat and the storage is absolutely great. On the other hand, I could see the euro transom with a door working better for some people. I hope I get a chance to ride one of these, because I am very interested in learning what the differences would be in the ride and handling. I am VERY pleased with the way our 225 rides.

Bama96

Reaction score
Grady is smart. These DCs are selling well and they are trying to give the customer many options. By using the proven 257 Hull they have less tooling costs. Design a new DC top cap to fit that hull and they are ready to go.