Grady getting slapped around on THT

Fishtales

Reaction score

Firenailer

Reaction score
For whatever reason, that site has never been super warm and fuzzy about Grady’s. That being said a couple of those guys had credible complaints and posted the pics. It wasn’t pretty...and you’ve gotta wonder how it got past Q.C. but most of us know they make a damn good boat!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Par for the course on THT.

There are some questions that need answered. To me, those under gunnel lights look dealer installed, awful sloppy for factory. Bow eye does have gelcoat crack and looks to be crooked, could be be dealer/lot boy induced from possible impact. The strakes look off but that may be from lighting and shadows. If all of that came straight from the factory, then they have a major QC problem.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My take on that picture is that the hull was repaired. If so, it should be noted in any sale.

Subsequent to the repair, the bow eye was damaged again. Imagine that! Moving boats around sometimes results in damage! But only Gradys...

I do get it though...I know its half a million and you want it perfect until you smash it into the dock yourself the first time out.
Then it will immediately become a 400k dollar used boat

seasick

Reaction score
Yup, a total loss! I'll take it off the dealers hands for free and will even pay to have it 'disposed' of at my slip:)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yup, a total loss! I'll take it off the dealers hands for free and will even pay to have it 'disposed' of at my slip:)
I'll one up you and pay them a full dollar and half! :) :)

The bow eye... it looks like an air void formed in the process of laying the fiberglass onto the gelcoat. That air void collapsed when the bow eye was tightened down, leading to the bow eye leaning over slightly. I don't see any way that the bow eye getting bumped at the yard is going to collapse the fiberglass under the gelcoat. The keel of the boat is SUPER strong. I think that if it was from being hit, then the visbile damage would be MUCH worse.

Yeah, not sure on those strakes. It certainly looks like they're not quite matching up from port to stbd but without being there and seeing/measuring myself I wouldn't want to say for sure. For that to happen, there would have to be an issue with the mold and that's just really, really strange/unheard of. But then... obviously the guy from THT saw it in person and that's why he took the pic. Weird.

bac0701

Reaction score
theres no reason they should be displaying a 0.5 million dollar boat with a damaged bow eye. Just plain and simple

Reactions: PrinceofThieves

Polapea

Reaction score
The door hatch cut-out was atrocious on the boat in question also. I think the main point of the thread is if that is what QC let get passed them on a boat show boat then what is the everyday person getting.

THT def. has some GW bathers but the general consensus is that they are good boats but not worth the premium price. I don’t necessarily disagree.

We‘ve had two Gradys and there were QA/QC issues on both that aren’t really acceptable for boats that cost what they do.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
If Grady is going to continue to market itself as a premium boat maker, then crap like that should not be leaving the factory. It does not take long for the thread on THT to reach Greenville. The heads in the board room should be shaking and formulating a plan to step up their game.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't know if Grady is completely responsible for this - and I'm not saying this to really defend them, just offering some insight on how/why these things happen... Mistakes happen with all manufacturers during the layup process from time to time - there's no denying that.

Many brands at shows are provided by local dealers (I can't say for 100% in this case, obviously). But the shows that I work - including the NYC years ago, that's what we did - brought our own boats. An "oops" like in the picture may very well have been seen by Grady QC, but since it's not major, the boat would still get shipped to the dealer that ordered the boat, rather than holding up a truck. The way the process should then work is... the dealer would then check-in the boat when it arrives and note any problems. Grady would then authorize warranty for the dealer to fix the goober. In most cases, customers would never be the wiser. In this case, either it was completely missed or maybe the dealer was rushing to get boats to the show (maybe got the boat last minute?) and didn't have time to fix it (and didn't have another Freedom to take in it's place).

Again, not defending anyone - but mistakes do happen and sometimes things get missed for "whatever" reason. It happens to all of them... and all of us (or at least me!) :)

Jargon

Reaction score
I don't know if Grady is completely responsible for this - and I'm not saying this to really defend them, just offering some insight on how/why these things happen... Mistakes happen with all manufacturers during the layup process from time to time - there's no denying that.

Many brands at shows are provided by local dealers (I can't say for 100% in this case, obviously). But the shows that I work - including the NYC years ago, that's what we did - brought our own boats. An "oops" like in the picture may very well have been seen by Grady QC, but since it's not major, the boat would still get shipped to the dealer that ordered the boat, rather than holding up a truck. The way the process should then work is... the dealer would then check-in the boat when it arrives and note any problems. Grady would then authorize warranty for the dealer to fix the goober. In most cases, customers would never be the wiser. In this case, either it was completely missed or maybe the dealer was rushing to get boats to the show (maybe got the boat last minute?) and didn't have time to fix it (and didn't have another Freedom to take in it's place).

Again, not defending anyone - but mistakes do happen and sometimes things get missed for "whatever" reason. It happens to all of them... and all of us (or at least me!) :)

I think you are absolutely correct.

From my understanding having spoken to the GSM there from my local dealership, these WERE local dealer inventory. The Canyon 336 next to the boat in question, was owned by his dealership.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think we are giving the Factory QC dept a skate. No way that should get wrapped and leave the 4-walls. That is poor quality and some thing has to change and fast.
The Dealer is in deep yogurt too. How do you take delivery of a boat like that? How do you bring it to a show without an inspection? It's your business and in your self interest to review every boat you have and present - especially the ones you pay for.

Reputations are hard earned and easily lost....

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No way that should get wrapped and leave the 4-walls.
I'm by no means standing up for Grady here, but I can tell you from 30+ years of being in this business that this is not all that uncommon - especially a small goober like that. Most people just never know it happens! And, this happens with ALL the manufacturers - Grady is not alone here. Those lifting strakes, though... that's a really odd one.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I get it but some of that stuff is just not acceptable. Hopefully the factory takes action. Some of the leadership team should be crawling around the final product once in a while to keep QC honest.

Fishtales

Reaction score
While at it investigate all the complaints about water leaks under the hard top frames. Investigate a way to poke yoke it (pre- applied visible sealer, automated inspection or something) so that it can't be skipped or done incorrectly.

HMBJack

Reaction score
"THT def. has some GW bashers but the general consensus is that they are good boats but not worth the premium price."

The above is well said...

I sent a rather pointed e-mail to Greenville via their "contact us" process off their website. I'll wait and see what their response is. I suggested someone needs to be fired over this.

Quality control has never been more important. Everyone has a camera on their phone. Everyone has internet upload capability to share anything they see. And many many people at a boat show or at the harbor or boat ramp actually want to dislike Grady-Whites because they can never afford one. Seeing quality control issues in a Grady-White makes them feel better as they return to their Robalos, Sea Swirls, and Parkers.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I never put credence in people trashing a brand they have not owned or one they had a single lemon with. Tht, imo, is only good for technical advice, not opinions.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I suggested someone needs to be fired over this.
I think you might going a bit (a lot?) overboard on that. The bow eye issue is a VERY small blemish - it is almost certainly just a simple air void. It happens. It happens more than most think. It is also VERY easily repairable at the dealer level - in fact, things like this are EXPECTED to be repaired at the dealer level as opposed to in house at Grady. I understand that if you're not in the business or not used to dealing with lot's of boats that this may feel like a big issue, but trust me, the sky is falling here. It's normal - the glass is hand laid and once in a while a little air pocket develops from not being completely rolled out - interior corners like this one are the most common place to see it (strake edges are another spot).

Keep in mind that we're all reacting over one, single picture. We don't know the whole story. We've also been discussing how this should have been seen and taken care of before the show. Well, it's quite possible that the air void didn't "pop" (become apparent) until the trailer ride to the show. The dealership may not even know about it - the guys setting up the display booth are running around like chickens with their heads cut off because the booth next to them and behind them is waiting for their turn. If you've never been involved in setup or tear down at a show, you'd be quite amazed at what goes on. I really think we're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I never put credence in people trashing a brand they have not owned or one they had a single lemon with.
I couldn't agree more. Most "bashing" comes from what they know (and feel they are now experts in) from being on forums and listening to someone else who only knows what they know from forums... who was listening to someone else who only knows what they know from forums... who was listening to someone else who only knows.... it's a dangerous cycle that all of sudden becomes "fact" simply because some yahoos on forums are regurgitating information they may know nothing about.

For example, that picture of the air void and the bow eye... that could very well circulate the 'net over and over and eventually the story will become "all Grady's suffer from horrendous fiberglass defects".