Grady Gulfstream - twin vs. single outboards

tp13

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple used Grady Gulfstreams, one of which I"m hoping/planning to purchase. Both boats are less than 5 years old, one of them has twin 150hp 4-strokes, the other has a single 250hp 4-stroke.

Can anyone comment on either of these setups?

Thanks your help/input.

232 GULF

Reaction score
I've had my gulfstream for the past year and I would STRONGLY recommend the twin 150s power. 250 horsepower isn't enough for this hull, plain and simple. She will get on plane and cruise about 25-30mph depending on fuel/load, but IMO its too much to ask of the motor. Also (although I haven't had personal experience) I've heard its a whole lot easier around the docks with twins instead of a single. I can attest that with a single 250, my gulstream does NOT want to go in reverse. In order to change from forward to reverse quickly, I have to hammer it in reverse. Docking is a bit of a task. It's worth the extra couple thousand to buy one with twins instead of a single in my experience.

jellyfish

Reaction score
twins are always easier to dock or move around in tight quarters. On that Hull with a wide beam I would want twins. I would go for the twin 150 4 strokes over the single engine setup..... Go for a ride on boat as the twin 150ies might be a little on the lite side for that hull. The 250 I would think would be underpowered for that hull.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I agree with all of the above comments. The only thing I would add is I prefer twin 200's, which I have on my '07 232.
Great low-end, cruise in the low-30's at around 3800-4000RPM. Gets 1.8-2.0MPG depending on load and sea conditions.
I would think twin 150's would be adequate, but I would stay away from a single, especially a 250. Although I haven't ridden on one powered with a single, I can't help but think it would be underpowered.

Workdog

Reaction score
Haven't ridden on a newer model, but my 89 Gulfstream with twin 150 EFI two-strokes are superb. I get 2.0 mpg at best cruise, and 45 mph WOT. I've been told, at least with my Mercs, that the 150s have better holeshot and low end performance than the 200s (the 150s and 200s have the same size block, 2.5 L--the difference comes in the gear ratio). Since I 'm rarely at WOT I don't see any downside.