Grady hit by whale in Rhode Island

boslaw

Reaction score
Reactions: PointedRose

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
How do you patch a hole like that while you’re in the water? Flex Seal??

Well I have a roll of flex seal tape on the boat and toilet wax ring too. Either way, it will buff out.

I wonder how whale collided with the boat ? I saw pictures earlier today. I need to read the story.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That was a serious issue and has made me think a bit about what else I need on board. I was on the water that day about 15 miles east of there and the whales were super active and feeding aggressively.

Most of that damage was above waterline, but scary all around.

Reactions: PointedRose

NH Seafarer

Reaction score
I have had numerous close encounters from whales and basking sharks. not sure why but they seem to be curious about my drift sock. Little unnerving in my Seafarer 228 when they are 4' from the motor on the bracket.

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had a humpback breach at about 11:00 (direction not time) when I was cruising around 28 knotts. I came off the throttles as fast as I could and watched it go under my bow and braced for my boat potentially clipping it. Fortunately we didn't collide, but it was super close and scary as hell.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ve seen many videos recently of small whale watch boats getting WAY too close to orcas, humpbacks, blue whales, etc. I understand the fascination but it doesn’t seem to me that these people have any regard for the animals themselves or the safety of their patrons. I’m not saying this was the case in the instances in the news but these videos are everywhere on the internet and all the comments are like ‘so cool’, ‘awesome’, while I cringe every time I see a small boat full of people or a kayak getting splashed by a humpback. I mean you can see them from 100 yards away too

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Yeah, I agree people get too close. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the whale stuff could have been avoided by backing off. I don't know though, just guessing.

I know Alan Tani has a 2nd radar like thing that sees under water. I need to talk to him and see if it would give you enough warning. Also see if it can be programmed to beep at you any time it sees something big, I don't always have my eyes on the screen.

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah, I agree people get too close. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the whale stuff could have been avoided by backing off. I don't know though, just guessing.

I know Alan Tani has a 2nd radar like thing that sees under water. I need to talk to him and see if it would give you enough warning. Also see if it can be programmed to beep at you any time it sees something big, I don't always have my eyes on the screen.
Hope the Whale had Gieco