Grady or Cobia

CMS1

Reaction score
Wow just saw a new 261 Cobia with twin 200 Yamahas Nice boat easy access to mechanicals, everything labeled in the electrical department. Screws holding on the hardtop were large stainless not painted, with plastic washers to prevent rust early. Rode nice and dry. Plenty of deck storage. I just ordered a 235 Grady and it was the same price as this Cobia. Are they similar quality?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting question. I don't know much about Cobia. They were once long ago built in the next town over from where I grew up. I suspect they are a good quality boat. Every boat has its compromises.

I know Grady kind of over builds their boats. The deck hardware, lifting rings and such they don't go cheap. The LED lighting is top notch. Here is the thing. Do you buy stuff for your needs or do you buy stuff based on what complete stranger thinks your needs ought to be?

Back in 2009 I suspect I could have purchased a bigger boat, like 3 maybe 4 feet bigger than my 228 for what I paid for my 288 from another company, like Cobia. I didn't, because I wanted a Grady. Today because I keep her undercover my gelcoat is still shiny. I do wax her twice a year with collinites. There is not a rattle or shake in the boat . All the topside parts are in great shape. I have upgraded my lighting to LED tech. I have added stuff here and there. Would the Cobia still be nice? I suppose given the way I keep my current boat. I know this. One day I will likely sell my boat and it will command more money than other boats of similar size and age, including a Cobia. The market don't lie.

If you like the Cobia more and it meets your needs better than the Grady who is anyone going to tell you what is best for you? Buy the boat you want to buy.

If you are buying a boat to simply impress people like me, then buy the Grady. Otherwise , all the Grady owners in the super secret Great Great Grady Forum and Secret Society will be laughing at you. Lol. To be a part of that forum you have to have at least 30 feet of LOA and know the secret handshake.

I don't think you will necessarily go wrong with the Cobia.

Ask yourself this. Does the Cobia have the equivalent rod holders? Are you going to fish and sandbar it? Does the Cobia have the same high nickel stainless steel hardware as the Grady. Does it offer the same flotation? Grady's above 19 feet have basic flotation and if you are buying new they claim they are unsinkable. Does the boat have standard trim tabs? Does the Cobia offer similar or better customer service after the sale as Grady? I got some minor stuff covered after warranty expired. Grady makes access to their gas tanks easy with deck lids. So , you don't have to cut into the deck to remove the tank. Does Cobia offer the same thing? Does Cobia offer midship cleats? Does Cobia put two bilge pumps ,one with high water alarm in the boat? Lastly, does Cobia offer a bikini clad lady to come clean your boat for free? Well, neither does Grady but if they did, it would be double prizes for sure! Lol

I am trying to be funny, but pragmatic too. Get the boat that will meet your needs the best.

Reactions: mhinch and CMS1

CMS1

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting question. I don't know much about Cobia. They were once long ago built in the next town over from where I grew up. I suspect they are a good quality boat. Every boat has its compromises.

I know Grady kind of over builds their boats. The deck hardware, lifting rings and such they don't go cheap. The LED lighting is top notch. Here is the thing. Do you buy stuff for your needs or do you buy stuff based on what complete stranger thinks your needs ought to be?

Back in 2009 I suspect I could have purchased a bigger boat, like 3 maybe 4 feet bigger than my 228 for what I paid for my 288 from another company, like Cobia. I didn't, because I wanted a Grady. Today because I keep her undercover my gelcoat is still shiny. I do wax her twice a year with collinites. There is not a rattle or shake in the boat . All the topside parts are in great shape. I have upgraded my lighting to LED tech. I have added stuff here and there. Would the Cobia still be nice? I suppose given the way I keep my current boat. I know this. One day I will likely sell my boat and it will command more money than other boats of similar size and age, including a Cobia. The market don't lie.

If you like the Cobia more and it meets your needs better than the Grady who is anyone going to tell you what is best for you? Buy the boat you want to buy.

If you are buying a boat to simply impress people like me, then buy the Grady. Otherwise , all the Grady owners in the super secret Great Great Grady Forum and Secret Society will be laughing at you. Lol. To be a part of that forum you have to have at least 30 feet of LOA and know the secret handshake.

I don't think you will necessarily go wrong with the Cobia.

Ask yourself this. Does the Cobia have the equivalent rod holders? Are you going to fish and sandbar it? Does the Cobia have the same high nickel stainless steel hardware as the Grady. Does it offer the same flotation? Grady's above 19 feet have basic flotation and if you are buying new they claim they are unsinkable. Does the boat have standard trim tabs? Does the Cobia offer similar or better customer service after the sale as Grady? I got some minor stuff covered after warranty expired. Grady makes access to their gas tanks easy with deck lids. So , you don't have to cut into the deck to remove the tank. Does Cobia offer the same thing? Does Cobia offer midship cleats? Does Cobia put two bilge pumps ,one with high water alarm in the boat? Lastly, does Cobia offer a bikini clad lady to come clean your boat for free? Well, neither does Grady but if they did, it would be double prizes for sure! Lol

I am trying to be funny, but pragmatic too. Get the boat that will meet your needs the best.

CMS1

Reaction score
I ordered the Grady, my fourth one. I posted this just to see if anyone knew about the Cobia brand. It just looked nice and I have not seen one in person before. Don’t think I could “try” another brand after owning a Grady. Just curious. Loved the post btw. Now in a few years with God’s blessing perhaps I can get the 30 ft overall 325 Freedom that I do drool over at my stealer.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I ordered the Grady, my fourth one. I posted this just to see if anyone knew about the Cobia brand. It just looked nice and I have not seen one in person before. Don’t think I could “try” another brand after owning a Grady. Just curious. Loved the post btw. Now in a few years with God’s blessing perhaps I can get the 30 ft overall 325 Freedom that I do drool over at my stealer.
Dude! Surely, you jest by posting such a question here then after you have now owned 4 Grady's! You come here and blaspheme the Grady White name with Cobia. In all my interwebs years have I never been so humiliated by answering your rhetorical whimsy. I am both stunned and ashamed. I fell for your trickery once sir, I say good day. Good day to you....I will not be so naive to do so again. (This is my Koolaide drinking alter ego from the Hull Truth coming out)

Ok,
Seriously,I bet the 23 on order is a sweet, sweet boat. Stick with it. I don't Cobia is a variable dead rise hull. That's the part of Grady which gives it it's unique ride, aka the SeaV2 Hunt hull. I envy you for this. You get to enjoy that unique new boat smell of VOCs for a year or two. It's just intoxicating to the central nervous system.

Reactions: CMS1

Fishtales

Reaction score
boats are like women. get what you want.
the one thing I will say is customer service is tough to beat with the Grady.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
boats are like women. get what you want.
the one thing I will say is customer service is tough to beat with the Grady.
So, what you're saying ...is the more I pay for a woman, the better customer service I will receive? Lol. I could never afford that kind of woman. ;-) Somebody should have told the Patriots owner that bit of wisdom. Lol. He owns a Grady Express 330.

CMS1

Reaction score
So, what you're saying ...is the more I pay for a woman, the better customer service I will receive? Lol. I could never afford that kind of woman. ;-) Somebody should have told the Patriots owner that bit of wisdom. Lol. He owns a Grady Express 330.

Now thats funny!

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
The customer service is aspect is huge. My brother works for a "custom" boat builder. I can say it's scary what passes through and this brand is top notch. I can only imagine what passes through at GW. With that said, mistakes happen and how the company handles them would be a priority.

Reactions: CMS1

Fishtales

Reaction score

Not always. If you pay more a woman you may get better customer service, but not a guarantee. If you go for the Krafty special, well you get what you get. Should have gotten the GW rub and tug not the Cobia.....

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Not always. If you pay more a woman you may get better customer service, but not a guarantee. If you go for the Krafty special, well you get what you get. Should have gotten the GW rub and tug not the Cobia.....
I thought he got the Bayliner motor boat special. When you get down to it, be it a Bayliner or a Cobia or a Grady in the end everyone is happy right as long as the ending is happy too. They all bring some level of satisfaction.