Grady overnighter late 70's vs 80's

Rusty Wrench

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Looking at older overnighters, I see many of the mid 80's to 90's with transom issues. I see many of the late 70's to early 80's in the olds lapstreak style that seem to be still solid? What are the build quality differences in these hulls? I realize every boat has its own individual issues.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 1975 204C Overnighter needed a transom after 7 years. 3 in the water and 4 kept high and dry. The stringers were not sealed properly, but I epoxyed them myself before any problems started. The wiring was primitive and needed to be replaced every few years.

The build quality of the later boats is much better. I think most of the older ones you see around now have new transoms and other glasswork.

Reactions: Rusty Wrench

Rusty Wrench

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I would be but 20 is the biggest i can have on my mooring

bradpeterson

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I've got a 90 overnighter that I replaced the transom on 1 year ago... It was wet but not really rotten. I did it because I like my things in proper condition. The problem with many of these transoms is that the top of the transom isn't solid seamless fiberglass... they capped the transom with an aluminum cap and underneath it is wide open... Mine is seamless now and better than new! I also eliminated those god-awful through hull transom scuppers that lead to constant wet feet when fishing.

Last edited:

Rusty Wrench

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I've got a 90 overnighter that I replaced the transom on 1 year ago... It was wet but not really rotten. I did it because I like my things in proper condition. The problem with many of these transoms is that the top of the transom isn't solid seamless fiberglass... they capped the transom with an aluminum cap and underneath it is wide open... Mine is seamless now and better than new! I also eliminated those god-awful through hull transom scuppers that lead to constant wet feet when fishing.
Did you replace it from the inside or outside? Did you use plywood or something else?