Grady safety issue/question

Gmanoffshore

Reaction score
I have had my Grady now for one full season and really enjoy it, I use the boat a lot offshore and spend a lot of time thinking about safety and what ifs.
My question is about thru hull fittings, I have 3 of the clam shell type that have long stainless steel rods to open and close them when needed. These IMHO are much more likely to get knocked off running than the other flush fittings on the bottom of the hull.
So now for the question, with these being impossible to reach due to the access hatches how would a person stuff something in one if it gets knocked off 50 miles offshore.
In most of the boats I have owned in the past you had enough room to reach the bilge area and stuff a rag/plug/etc. in if you had to but I can't figure a way on this boat.
Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You aren't going to reach the clam-shell thru-hulls without getting wet. Unfortunately if one were to get torn off there's going to be an ugly hole that a wooden dowel isn't going to plug. It's time for the life vests and raft. The wooden plugs are good if the hose breaks or the plastic thru-hull snaps.

gw204

Reaction score
If you hit something hard enough to rip one of those off, you're going to have other problems....big ones. They have a low enough profile that they should deflect an impact pretty well without sustaining catastrophic damage.

The wooden plugs are still a good idea though, but I really don't think you have to worry about those thru-hulls.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I read somewhere that a couple of nerf footballs on board can slow leaks caused by irregular gashes in hulls/fitting areas. Thankfully I have never had to test this but it would seem to make sense.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think this is the least of your worries. Those clam shells should be fastened and glassed into the hull if done correctly. If that is the case and they rip off. you hit something big and you hit it hard. More then likely is you hit something that will rip it off, it would also probably put a hole in the boat or crack it if there was no clam shell. It would take a really large impact to rip it off. I have not heard of that many boats that this has happened to but I'm sure it has happened. I think regardless of clam shell or not, you are going to have a bad day at sea. Only if the hole is small or in a shape/location where you can plug it would you be able to stop the boat from sinking. Honestly, not sure how many times boaters get lucky and can actually plug the hole, yes it happens but it is less then you think. I would say your best bet is put on a life jacket and radio in a mayday call and coordinates ASAP.