Grady Seafarer as Tow Boat

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Saw this last weekend in Cornet Bay ready to tow people into Deception Pass. Had huge custom bracket on back.

B420471D-F9D7-44B3-8D09-95B7FAC7751D.jpeg

F1B7A42A-4F1A-4C9C-B290-40863B5213A7.jpeg

Last edited:

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Drifter, a lot of folks don't know anything about Deception Pass. I lived in that area for over 20 years and am aware but you should describe the tidal flows through there.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just signed up with those guys for the first season in a new / old boat. Two motors, but single fuel system, no rope starting the 4 strokes (why?), and no kicker. Cheap insurance!

It's a regular run for me. The inside passage through Swinomish Slough takes you through the town of La Conner - nice spot to dock up and eat at any number of restaurants. Heading West out of Deception Pass with the tide into a brisk East wind was the only time my "crew" got scared in recent memory. I think everyone said it at the same time, "TURN AROUND!!" And one of them was a seasoned Bering Sea longliner! Seriously, there's a quick dropoff outside, and it can really stand up. Super strong tidal current most of the time - it's fun to turn off your motor and go screaming through spinning in circles!

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My comment was merely reflecting the lack of any obvious basic towing equipment, like a towing post, or any pipework to keep a tow line from catching on the outboard.