Grady shopping is difficult

Reaction score
Can any provide good or not so good things about a 2001 247 advance. Ride, trailability, cockpit space for bottom bumping, room for down riggers ect. Located a pretty nice condition one in the South but have never actually been on the 247. Love the 222 so I can not imagine not liking this one. I am try to set a sea trial and inspection. Thanks for your help. :D

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Does this model year still have the cut away hull? There was a 247 that had a hull where the last 18" before the transom stepped up so it was not really a wetted 24 feet. If so you need to really check this model against the newer models where they went to the full length hull.

Reaction score
From what I can tell there is no step up at the back of the vessel. Thank you for that point. Looks like a typical Euro transom with motors mounted on the back.

Any one else out there have any information?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Snapper: The 247/248 models do not have the running surface extending all the way to the transom. As was said, it is an integrated bracket design. Grady called them both 24' boats in 2001. I have not ridden in that hull.

For the 2003 model year the running bottom was extended to the transom, the boats were rebadged as the 257/258, and, although the overall length remained the same 24'9", the boats were described as 25 footers rather than 24.

Extension of the running bottom was done to accomodate the weight of four-strokes as occurred for many Grady models. I have not heard anyone complain of the 247 ride with 2 strokes on it.

Rob

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wahoo, Grady was extending the running bottom on flat bottom euro transom models starting in 1997, lmany years before any 4 strokes hit the market.

The longer running hull improves performance, in general.

Grady actually delayed doing it because they were concerned the handling would be compromised with a higher riding stern and create possible bow steer characteristics at higher speeds which is not good.
Had a reliable source on that one.

Reaction score
I have sent a email to Grady cust. service to answer the question. I am waiting to see if my offer is accepted before a fly down and take a look a the vessel. I willlet you know the answer.

jimfish

Reaction score
MY neighbor bought a loaded 247 a number of years ago. My 209 was the only Grady he had ever seen and he was always VERY impressed by the use of space, fit / finish / quality, ride, and ability to handle rough seas - which we get plenty of when salmon fishing off our port on Lake Michigan (Onekama).
Gradys are rare in Northern Michigan. The nearest dealer is in the Detroit area, over 300 miles away. About six years ago a 247 "Strike" showed up at one of our marinas. It had a single Merc. 225 with a Merc. kicker, and every option that had been offered by GW except a T-Top (storage issues caused by the T-Top height precluded that). The boat and motors had about 30 hours and the owner wanted a quick sale. My neighbor absolutely STOLE the boat!!
The boat has the cutback hull. This gives the same effect as a motor on a bracket - the "setback" puts the prop in clean water. It is an outstanding performer from every standpoint. It handles well, is fast, and justs eats up the waves that have always built by the time it is time to roll 'em up and head in around mid-morning.
Storage is very good. The center console has a head, etc. and provides EZ access for wiring (an autopilot was easily installed) and electronics installation. He runs four downriggers, but in recent years we are using more leadlines and Dipseys in the clear waters of Northern lake Michigan. Whereas we used to run 90% riggers, now we usually run no more than two riggers down, with two leadlines and a couple of Dipseys - sometimes four Dipseys. Even the over 30' charter captains have pulled some of there (old days) 6-8 downrigger setups because of the change in the fishing and fish (wary). We also use a tower with Otter boards, especially in early Spring (Browns) or Steelhead fishing in June. The 247 works well for that, too.
At 8'6" beam, trailering is not an issue on a properly setup trailer. All in all, the older 247s are good values and have no real negatives that I have seen, and this boat IS on the water almost every day (FACT!). Ralph thanks me EVERY day for introducing him to his Grady!!!

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The 2001 also has the cut "step up" transom. That does not seem to big of a deal as you said it will be clean water. There as not been much negitive about any grady I have looked into from 265 to the 247. The admirial actually said the boat will be better off being used for fishing so please feel free to find a cc you love. Well the 247 is love at first sight. I would not say I am trying to steal the boat but made a very aggresive offer. Time will tell.

Marc

Tashmoo

Reaction score
This is a great boat with the best multipurpose layout of any 24/25' CC that I have looked at. You can't go wrong as long as it is in good shape and has been well cared for. Make sure you have someone go through the engine including a compression check. Also have a moisture check done on the transom.

Good luck I hope the deal work for you.