Grady Storage

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have always stored my boat in New England 90% full of fuel. Many opinions differ. What do most folks in colder states do regarding fuel level during storage?

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I always store 100 % full less chance of moisture building up , add stabilizer and I'm good. Never an issue in NJ.

Reactions: Patsy Mac

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Only posting to tell you my experience over 15 years of boat ownership (6 boats). Not saying you should do this.

I'm in Washington State, we have a pretty temperate but damp climate. I've usually stored my tank at whatever level it was on the last outing. I know not ideal but I've checked the water separators of several boats with plastic and metal tanks and there just isn't much water in my fuel. Like an ounce maybe. Last year I opened the 92 gallon alum tank and sucked 10 gallons off the bottom layer after winter storage. No water could be seen in my glass quart sample jar.

BUT if gas was cheap this fall I'd fill up! Missing those pandemic prices :(

Reactions: Patsy Mac

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Regardless of where you are, the "best practice" is to store full or empty, never anywhere in between. This is not to say that a tank filled 50% WILL have issues - I'm simply saying that it increases the chances, whereas full/empty (and ideally properly treated) virtually eliminates the chances of an issue.

And... there's more threads (some recent) about this exact question if you wanted to use the search feature and read some more.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Only posting to tell you my experience over 15 years of boat ownership (6 boats). Not saying you should do this.

I'm in Washington State, we have a pretty temperate but damp climate. I've usually stored my tank at whatever level it was on the last outing. I know not ideal but I've checked the water separators of several boats with plastic and metal tanks and there just isn't much water in my fuel. Like an ounce maybe. Last year I opened the 92 gallon alum tank and sucked 10 gallons off the bottom layer after winter storage. No water could be seen in my glass quart sample jar.

BUT if gas was cheap this fall I'd fill up! Missing those pandemic prices :(
You ain't kidding about filling up right now. I always fill before winter when I pull the boat and the station I go to was also out of 87 so I had to run premium. Took a few swipes of the credit card since the station has a limit of $100. :eek:

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm in Connecticut and always close to full for winter, It reduces the chance of condensation. I treat both tanks with stabilizer and have never had an issue. Should also make out as far as price goes. Think it will be higher next year.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have owned 3 boats in 30 years (last 2 Grady’s) and always store full (no -ethanol). I add fuel stabil before last fill up which I did this past Saturday. The “special” Biden price was $4.43 per gallon and I needed 168 gallons. Ouch!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I try to run down but end up treating whatever is in the tank and fill up in the spring. 25 yrs boating, same with land toys. Never had a bad gas issue.