Grady striping replacement

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Rubber eraser wheel from Advance Auto parts worked for me. Removed all my stripes and installed fresh ones.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not sure of the age of your boat, but if it's not too old you can carefully cut the damaged section, vertically, with a new razor blade. Then peel the damaged section away. Use the razor to help start the peeling. Clean the area with acetone. Spray the area soapy water or Windex and lay in the new stripe and overlap the old stripe 1/2" or more. Squeegee out the fluid.

Reactions: Reelin in the Years

Fishtales

Reaction score
Use a hair dryer or better a heat gun working ahead of what you are peeling so the tape does not overheat. Try to pull at different angles - age of the stripe will be a factor. Remove the glue with acetone or goof off.

Reactions: Reelin in the Years

Topjimmy

Reaction score
Just did all new decals on my 1994 195 Tournament and just used a razor blade and wiped the excess residue off with Acetone it was a walk in the park took no time at all and at the same time put all new Decals on my Yamaha engine cover with the same method

Last edited:

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Use a hair dryer or better a heat gun working ahead of what you are peeling so the tape does not overheat. Try to pull at different angles - age of the stripe will be a factor. Remove the glue with acetone or goof off.

The heat gun is the key. Its much easier to peel off once its warmed up.

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Eraser wheel for sure. No sticky mess to clean up after. I have done 3 boats this way and would never deal with heat guns and razors

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The eraser wheel is a great tool, for sure - used the 3M version a few times, myself. But it's most handy on older tape that is starting to get "crackly". Since your boat is pretty new, there's an excellent chance that the striping will peel right off, using a little heat if needed. Especially since it's just a small section. When the striping is able to be peeled off, it goes very quickly - heck, on relatively new stuff you may not even need heat... or not very much, anyways.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Don't forget to go to your dealer to check out all the striping. It has changed a lot over the years and they sell it by the foot. Hopefully you can save a piece to match up or pick the one you like if doing the entire boat.

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Got her done yesterday!!!. Heat gun , goo gone, razor, had correct stripping. Looks pretty good if I say so myself . Thanks for allhekp and suggestions

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Stripe removal with 3M wheel, new stripes installed and custom registration numbers matching stripe colors. My stripes were so old and brittle the heat gun method didn't work for me, had to use the eraser wheel. IMG_1748.JPGIMG_1752.JPGIMG_1753.JPG

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Looks Great , is it generic stripe or genuine GW? My gold stripe is half the size of the narrow blue stripe. I have matching numbers on mine as well.

thumbnail

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks Great , is it generic stripe or genuine GW? My gold stripe is half the size of the narrow blue stripe. I have matching numbers on mine as well.

thumbnail

Genuine Grady stripes. My originals were a little smaller also, must have been a redesign or switched vendors from 2004 to 2018. The new stripes covered over the old location just fine, I don't see any ghosting from the old stripe.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
How much was all new striping etc?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
They all look beautiful. Amazing how something so small can really make the boat "pop", eh? Oh, you have the under the cap storage bag. I figured that was the "storage bag" that was quoted at like $450 in my top addition. That seems very useful.

R