Grady W 282 sailfish Suzuki 250 Prop size

Capt. Flash

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just repowered my 2001 Grady 282 sailfish with twin Suzuki’s 250hp
the dealer recommended 3x16x21.5 props. After the 1st 8 hours break in I decided to take her to WOT to see what she’s got but unfortunately she wouldn’t go past 5000 Rpms and topped at 35knts only! Not much different the my Yamaha 200 Hpdi's
I get on the plane fine & the boat has a good fast response on the throttle, But will not reach to its maximum output !
Has anyone tested out some Suzuki props that can recommend what props should I try
I was thinking about 3x16x18.5 or even 17 ??
any recommendations ???
Thanks

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Hang in there. You'll get them dialed in. Don't quit til its right.

I repowered my 265 express with Suzuki DF200APs. It took a few attempts at props to get it right.
I now have 4 x 15.25 x 22 suzuki props. I get 39mph loaded @6000 rpm. I have hit 41 mph, lighter, in flat water.
I cruise at 30-34 mph 1.6 mpg. I love these motors!
Your boat is longer but with the 250s you should do much better than me with 200s.
DF250AP gear ratio is 2.08:1 vs 2.5:1 on the 200s so maybe you could go down in prop

I had 3x16x20s on and they spun up when you goosed it from slow speed. I would think 18s or 17s would spin on you.
test the boat heavy. Test it in swells. Test it against a strong current.
Consider 4 blade props if you are an offshore boat.

First thing..when testing raise your tabs up and leave them there. Don't touch them. Take them out of the equation.
Now use the motor trim. Start with them tucked all in and raise the trim as you come out of the hole onto plane. Keep raising slowly on a long straight run until they are noticeably too high,then put them in the sweet spot

Capt. Flash

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just repowered my 2001 Grady 282 sailfish with twin Suzuki’s 250hp
the dealer recommended 3x16x21.5 props. After the 1st 8 hours break in I decided to take her to WOT to see what she’s got but unfortunately she wouldn’t go past 5000 Rpms and topped at 35knts only! Not much different the my Yamaha 200 Hpdi's
I get on the plane fine & the boat has a good fast response on the throttle, But will not reach to its maximum output !
Has anyone tested out some Suzuki props that can recommend what props should I try
I was thinking about 3x16x18.5 or even 17 ??
any recommendations ???
Thanks
Hang in there. You'll get them dialed in. Don't quit til its right.

I repowered my 265 express with Suzuki DF200APs. It took a few attempts at props to get it right.
I now have 4 x 15.25 x 22 suzuki props. I get 39mph loaded @6000 rpm. I have hit 41 mph, lighter, in flat water.
I cruise at 30-34 mph 1.6 mpg. I love these motors!
Your boat is longer but with the 250s you should do much better than me with 200s.
DF250AP gear ratio is 2.08:1 vs 2.5:1 on the 200s so maybe you could go down in prop

I had 3x16x20s on and they spun up when you goosed it from slow speed. I would think 18s or 17s would spin on you.
test the boat heavy. Test it in swells. Test it against a strong current.
Consider 4 blade props if you are an offshore boat.

First thing..when testing raise your tabs up and leave them there. Don't touch them. Take them out of the equation.
Now use the motor trim. Start with them tucked all in and raise the trim as you come out of the hole onto plane. Keep raising slowly on a long straight run until they are noticeably too high,then put them in the sweet spot

Thanks for the info
Will do some testing this weekend

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You saw my thread on 265 Express/Suzuki DF200APXW2.
Read thru the first entry because it has a summary of the whole thread.

One thing I forgot to mention is "toe out".
Sometimes with twins it helps to point the props towards each other (towards centerline) ever so slightly.
The idea is to get the propwash to eventually converge some distance behind the boat.
This is done by lengthening the tie bar adjustment.
In my case the motors are 28" on center so I adjusted the tie bar to 28 1/2". That makes each motor point towards centerline by 1/4".

Different hulls have different ideal settings. It has to do with flow of water under the hull.

Capt. Flash

Reaction score
Thanks for the info
Will do some testing this weekend
hey

so my buddy sent me 4x15.25x22 props just as you were suggesting,
i didn't have much time to run all the numbers but here's what i got :
boat was full of fuel 220 gal
regular load / gear onboard
2 guys
hole shot not bad / but not great
wot I got 6100 rpms - 40 knots trimmed up as you said