Grady white 175 spirit

Giacomo Lucchini

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
hi guys, I'm form italy, I've just bought a spirit 175 the boat is in really good condition, I'm doing some upgrades and waiting the new outboard.... someone of you know something about this boat? she rides well? even in rough water? if someone has riding photos please send me.
thanks so much.
Giacomo

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Giacomo:

Welcome to the Grady Family; I will tell you what I know and what I don't.

While I have never been on a 175 Spirit, any 17 foot boat has limitations no matter the brand. Do you have protected waters in the area where you'll be running the boat? If not, the 175 will not suit your needs; It's too small for open ocean use except on rare flat days.

If you have access to rivers, bays & protected waters, you'll have a blast in that boat. It will sip fuel, be simple to anchor at the beach, and be easy to dock & clean up afterword.

"Rough Water" is a subjective term. it means different things to different boaters. Anything over a 1 ft wind-driven chop will be considered rough for a Spirit 175. You can glide over open ocean groundswells if you have light winds on that day. Avoid navigating inlets on days with significant onshore swells during an ebb tide.

Reactions: Giacomo Lucchini

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Good advice from MagicalBill. Congrats on your new GW. It’ll be a great boat, I love a center console. I always suggest a boater safety course - not that I know your experience level - but I’d recommend to anyone. California requires a boater license and safety course, and I learned some things and was reminded of a number of things too. Either way, ease into getting used to your new boat. The new engine will require a ‘break in’ period as well so follow dealer instructions and maintenance and you’ll have many hours of worry free boating.

in terms of handling rough seas - I’d be cautious and get used to its handling before getting too adventurous. When possible, travel with a buddy boat.

Giacomo Lucchini

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Hey Giacomo:

Welcome to the Grady Family; I will tell you what I know and what I don't.

While I have never been on a 175 Spirit, any 17 foot boat has limitations no matter the brand. Do you have protected waters in the area where you'll be running the boat? If not, the 175 will not suit your needs; It's too small for open ocean use except on rare flat days.

If you have access to rivers, bays & protected waters, you'll have a blast in that boat. It will sip fuel, be simple to anchor at the beach, and be easy to dock & clean up afterword.

"Rough Water" is a subjective term. it means different things to different boaters. Anything over a 1 ft wind-driven chop will be considered rough for a Spirit 175. You can glide over open ocean groundswells if you have light winds on that day. Avoid navigating inlets on days with significant onshore swells during an ebb tide.
hi bill, thanks for your answer, I live in Liguria in front of a big river (magra river) most of the time I fish in that zone, searching for seabass, bluefish and leerfish but in the weekend I love go fishing 20 miles away from the river under coast, now I'm going there with a friend's 209 escape and it seems so easy. the problem of med sea is the wind and choppy waves in the middle of the day, waves are short and vertical. my boat for the past 5 years was a 15 whaler and I "broke my back" with it. fortunately here you don't have to go offshore for fishing, there are a lot of bluefin tuna 10/15 miles out I'll hope that this Grady rides well. thanks again for your answer and I'll tell you when the boat is ready!!!

Giacomo Lucchini

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Good advice from MagicalBill. Congrats on your new GW. It’ll be a great boat, I love a center console. I always suggest a boater safety course - not that I know your experience level - but I’d recommend to anyone. California requires a boater license and safety course, and I learned some things and was reminded of a number of things too. Either way, ease into getting used to your new boat. The new engine will require a ‘break in’ period as well so follow dealer instructions and maintenance and you’ll have many hours of worry free boating.

in terms of handling rough seas - I’d be cautious and get used to its handling before getting too adventurous. When possible, travel with a buddy boat.
thanks for your answer and your suggestion, since I was 18 i have the driving licence that in Italy is necessary when you drive boats with more than 40hp, thanks again for your answer and like my father has always says: " the best captain always respect the sea and fear it"