Grady White 180 - Yamaha F150

corinthmistral

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Good evening from the U.K. I have a Grady White 180 Sportsman. Can you let me know what size props you are running and what revs you get at WOT?

I have a Yamaha F150 from 2008, WOT is 5200rpm and gives 40mph. Hull is completely clean, but has been painted/antifouled.

My Propeller is 13.75xM19 stainless. (Edit: spoke to Grady White and they confirmed that was the factory supplied size for the boat when new. And awesome customer service from them.)

An awesome boat.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Joe

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am running a Yamaha Reliance 141/2 x 15 getting 5800 rpm at WOT on my 208 / F200i4 You want your WOT to be in the upper range 5700 to 6000 rpm. I think you could drop down at least 2 pitches ...maybe 17 or even 15. It is a trial event until you arrive.

Reactions: corinthmistral

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just to double check... you're trimming up as high as you can go until ventilation and/or speed no longer increases? What type of load is in the boat and what are the sea conditions during the WOT run?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If 5,200 rpm is WOT for you then you've definitely got the wrong prop on there, or there's something wrong with your outboard because, as stated above, WOT should be near 6k rpm.

corinthmistral

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Thanks for the replies. Went to collect the boat today and it’s not been fixed correctly - 4000rpm WOT. So I think it’s unlikely to be the prop. All filters and the VST have been changed or cleaned, as well as a new high pressure fuel pump, so am hoping it’s the injectors. Annoying that they weren’t checked first but will see if that fixes it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks for the replies. Went to collect the boat today and it’s not been fixed correctly - 4000rpm WOT. So I think it’s unlikely to be the prop. All filters and the VST have been changed or cleaned, as well as a new high pressure fuel pump, so am hoping it’s the injectors. Annoying that they weren’t checked first but will see if that fixes it.
Well this is completely different than your original post.

Why was the high pressure pump replaced? Was the pressure low? Or was it just replaced on a whim without diagnosing? You, or the mechanic (maybe a different one) needs to do some diagnosing rather than just throwing parts at it hoping to get lucky. That get's expensive real fast.

Compression test, fuel pressure, read the spark plugs, fuel quality in VST tank, etc... those things can all be done in an hour. FYI, injectors can be cleaned for about $20/each. After 14 years, that WOULD be something to do, regardless, as "maintenance".

Still would be helpful to now how you're trimming it. Also... how long have you had the boat - did it always do this - did it do it during the sea trial?

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Parts suppliers love that approach. Make a guess, replace the part, repeat, repeat........

There are so many simple and cheap tests that can be done to determine what may be at fault. It just kills me..

Reactions: corinthmistral

Flinny

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I own a 1998 GW 180 Sportsman 2001 150 2 stroke SWII running 141/2 X17 WOT 5900 47 mph with favorable weather and sea conditions.

corinthmistral

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Well this is completely different than your original post.

Why was the high pressure pump replaced? Was the pressure low? Or was it just replaced on a whim without diagnosing? You, or the mechanic (maybe a different one) needs to do some diagnosing rather than just throwing parts at it hoping to get lucky. That get's expensive real fast.

Compression test, fuel pressure, read the spark plugs, fuel quality in VST tank, etc... those things can all be done in an hour. FYI, injectors can be cleaned for about $20/each. After 14 years, that WOULD be something to do, regardless, as "maintenance".

Still would be helpful to now how you're trimming it. Also... how long have you had the boat - did it always do this - did it do it during the sea trial?
Thanks for this. Yep - the shop thought lack of performance was due to the prop; as I feared, the prop was a red herring and it looks like fuel/injector cleanliness was the issue. They called this morning, having replaced the injectors it’s now apparently running at 5700 and 45mph, which is virtually back to factory standard. Annoying because, as you say, extra parts have been added (an expensive fuel pump) and new injectors, which I would have had refurbed rather than replaced. Yamaha main dealer = they won’t agree to refurb them. I’ve been busy and trusted them to get on with it - lesson learned. It’s a new boat and motor for me so next time I’ll go elsewhere. They have at least not charged me labor (at £72 / $100/hr) for this extra work(!) And I had the balancer done, as it was the original unit from 2008.
Thanks for the helpful replies - will see how it performs when I collect it this weekend.
Love the boat - they are rare in the U.K., and the Grady White following, hence wanting to get it set up right so I can keep it long term.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good luck! At least it sounds like you're all sorted out, now.

Send the old injectors out for cleaning and sell them - at least you can recoup some of the money.

Reactions: igblack87

corinthmistral

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
To close this off (I always try and update as to the outcome) - the shop just sent me a video clip of the boat now running at 5700rpm and 47mph. As she has bottom paint (clean) I think that’s about as good as factory. The fuel system was manky - new HP fuel pump (as output was 20psi instead of 35-40) and 4 injectors, as well as filters and cleaning the VST. A lot of money and and in the future I would probably opt for refurb but on this occasion I hadn’t time to oversee it as closely as I would like. Regardless, all seems well so I shall run on a temporary tank and clean the main tank fully. Thanks for the interest and helpful replies.

corinthmistral

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
To close this off (I always try and update as to the outcome) - the shop just sent me a video clip of the boat now running at 5700rpm and 47mph. As she has bottom paint (clean) I think that’s about as good as factory. The fuel system was manky - new HP fuel pump (as output was 20psi instead of 35-40) and 4 injectors, as well as filters and cleaning the VST. A lot of money and and in the future I would probably opt for refurb but on this occasion I hadn’t time to oversee it as closely as I would like. Regardless, all seems well so I shall run on a temporary tank and clean the main tank fully. Thanks for the interest and helpful replies.

Attachments

• 37BB170E-DD31-4A3A-A082-2D4A5EEE15C8.jpeg
    37BB170E-DD31-4A3A-A082-2D4A5EEE15C8.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: PointedRose

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It looks like the 180 Sportsman was replaced by the 180 Fisherman between the 2009-2010 model years... or at least it looks like the same boat but just got a new name? Either way, on the Grady White website they have the performance data for a 180 Fisherman with a Yamaha F150 on it and even they don't hit 47mph @ WOT. The max that they achieved was 46.3mph @ 5,900rpm, so yes I'd say that you're doing just fine. The redline for these motors is usually in the 6,000 - 6,100rpm range and while I wouldn't want my WOT at only 5,200rpm, you also don't need to have it at 6k rpm or above either. I think 5,700rpm is a safe range without being too high on the rpm, as you don't want to be consistently running at redline or above, and while also not completely dogging the motor with the WOT at almost 1k rpm under the redline either.

corinthmistral

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
It looks like the 180 Sportsman was replaced by the 180 Fisherman between the 2009-2010 model years... or at least it looks like the same boat but just got a new name? Either way, on the Grady White website they have the performance data for a 180 Fisherman with a Yamaha F150 on it and even they don't hit 47mph @ WOT. The max that they achieved was 46.3mph @ 5,900rpm, so yes I'd say that you're doing just fine. The redline for these motors is usually in the 6,000 - 6,100rpm range and while I wouldn't want my WOT at only 5,200rpm, you also don't need to have it at 6k rpm or above either. I think 5,700rpm is a safe range without being too high on the rpm, as you don't want to be consistently running at redline or above, and while also not completely dogging the motor with the WOT at almost 1k rpm under the redline either.

Thank you - that’s very helpful, and good to know. The shop said they actually got up to 5800 and 48mph(!) just after their video clip ended so that’s more than adequate for me messing about on the U.K. East Coast. and I don’t intend to run flat out all day.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you - that’s very helpful, and good to know. The shop said they actually got up to 5800 and 48mph(!) just after their video clip ended so that’s more than adequate for me messing about on the U.K. East Coast. and I don’t intend to run flat out all day.
Agreed... I have absolutely no need for going anywhere near 50mph when out on the water and I don't really want to run my motor that's almost 20 years old at WOT just for the hell of it. Glad to hear you got it all sorted out!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I own a 1998 GW 180 Sportsman 2001 150 2 stroke SWII running 141/2 X17 WOT 5900 47 mph with favorable weather and sea conditions.

If your 150 2 stroke is turning 5900 you need to jump up to a 19" prop. Max RPM for a 150 2 stroke (SWS and/or OX66) is 5500.

corinthmistral

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Agreed... I have absolutely no need for going anywhere near 50mph when out on the water and I don't really want to run my motor that's almost 20 years old at WOT just for the hell of it. Glad to hear you got it all sorted out!

corinthmistral

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
And as a final update for anyone with the same boat, today having properly got used to the boat and sorted out the trim, the boat is maxing out at 6,000rpm and 50mph, cross calibrated with the gps. Insanely fast really, and I won’t be running it that hard very often, but super impressed with the boat and handling.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
And as a final update for anyone with the same boat, today having properly got used to the boat and sorted out the trim, the boat is maxing out at 6,000rpm and 50mph, cross calibrated with the gps. Insanely fast really, and I won’t be running it that hard very often, but super impressed with the boat and handling.
Glad to hear. I didn't follow up on my first post regarding wondering about proper trimming when you didn't respond to it... but do you think this was the problem all along?

782 aero

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Good evening from the U.K. I have a Grady White 180 Sportsman. Can you let me know what size props you are running and what revs you get at WOT?

I have a Yamaha F150 from 2008, WOT is 5200rpm and gives 40mph. Hull is completely clean, but has been painted/antifouled.

My Propeller is 13.75xM19 stainless. (Edit: spoke to Grady White and they confirmed that was the factory supplied size for the boat when new. And awesome customer service from them.)

An awesome boat.
Thanks in advance.
I have a 19.2 Grady with a 200 have a 14.1/4 (17 pitch )5500 at 43 miles per gps