Grady White 2000 228 - Cabin water intrusion

jonathanjames

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 228 seems to be getting water in the cabin during heavy rain falls. I suspect it's coming from the center square hatch. I don't believe it's the rubber seal but more of the bedding of the hatch.

Anyone else experience this before? Do I have to re-bed the entire thing?

Attachments

• IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1674.jpg
    IMG_1674.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A few thoughts on the matter... the first of which would be that in your first picture yes, that crack looks to have that discolored spot near the top of the picture which looks like a water mark. Second, on your final picture it looks like the rubber seal at the bottom has a hairline crack on the center right but also has a substantially bigger chunk missing to the left of that. Any possibility that could be the culprit? Depending on how extensive/expensive the repair is, you've got snaps to the sides of the top part of the hatch. Could you make a canvas or some sort of other cover to go over the hatch when the boat isn't in use? Might save a bit of money depending on what the other alternatives might be. Good luck and a great looking boat you've got there, though I might be slightly biased.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Rebidding it is not that big a deal. It may take some patience in first getting it off and then cleaning the surfaces but if u are not in the South the wether may be a little more tempered and ok.
I once had to replace my hatch because cracks in the non-glass let some water through. A Bomar unit if I remember right, anyway it is straight forward as long as you get an exact match so rebedding is really only labor of love.
On another note, water intrusion points are hard to determine as water travels with capillary effects in all strange directions. Make sure it is the hatch that is leaking and not some snap, or other hardware around / above the deck area.

H

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
My 228 seems to be getting water in the cabin during heavy rain falls. I suspect it's coming from the center square hatch. I don't believe it's the rubber seal but more of the bedding of the hatch.

Anyone else experience this before? Do I have to re-bed the entire thing?
It would be a waste of time to only bed part of it. It will only take another minute to bed the whole thing.

Adjust accordingly... for someone that has done this a few times, it's about an hour job.

I would use butyl rubber tape for bedding/sealing. It'll be 40 years till you have to do it again if you do it right.

Reactions: jonathanjames

seasick

Reaction score
I may start an "Oprah's favorite things" list
So far, here is what I can think of quickly.
Per Dennis... Butyl tape
Per Skunk... A new accessory feed breaker
Per Seasick... A 12volt test lamp

I think I will start a new post for the list.

jonathanjames

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good suggestions everyone, I will order some Butyl tape and a new rubber hatch seal. TY