Grady White 208 Owners: Anchor size

Koakine88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Aloha,
I am patiently waiting for my Adventure 208 to be delivered to Hawaii and need to begin purchasing some items to outfit the boat since I chose to pass on dealer outfitting (sourcing my own quality products). The one thing I need to know for sure before ordering is what size anchor the factory anchor locker clips will hold? I’m going with a traditional danforth style, however in stainless steel versus galvanized. My last boat was galvanized and eventually corroded enough to stain my anchor locker.

After searching, I found some contradicting info.

Any 208 owner here able to grab me a quick measurement? Width and depth so I know for sure? Thanks!!

0B057C43-54FD-47D1-852C-6A9DE0E919CD.jpeg

seasick

Reaction score
I can measure tomorrow but I am not sure what width you mean. Is it the width of the opening and the depth of the locker?

Koakine88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I think the width of the opening would help for knowing how big of a fluke I can fit so having those measurements would help as well. Most importantly as I think most anchors in this style have relatively close dimension scales, the width of the anchor stock (the rod that clips in) would likely give me everything I need. Attached a picture to help make my request a little more clear.

Finding stainless steel anchors that will ship to Hawaii is tricky and I don’t have many options. I don’t want to go small (especially anchoring in Hawaii waters) or end up with something that won’t fit. Thanks for the help!

1602288685621.png

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not for nothing, but can't your selling dealer provide you with these measurements? Afterall, you just spent a good chunk of change with them - the least they can do is get you those measurements.

Personally, I'd just stick with a galv anchor - possibly the one you had before was just lower quality or the finish had just worn off and should have been replaced. BUT... instead of searching for "Danforth", since Danforth doesn't make a SS anchor... try searching for the more generic name: "fluke" style.

For better holding power, increase the amount of chain you have.

Koakine88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I’m definitely planning on running a decent amount of chain, 15-20’ SS. I will likely reach out to my dealer next week if I don’t hear back over this weekend from others, about to go out to sea for work, and won’t have service for a few weeks, trying to do some last minute “should have planned better“ shopping so I’m not waiting for stuff to arrive after my boat arrives. I also figured having this info on this forum would be helpful for others to see what they can fit in their locker.

I like to go a bit oversized with chain and anchors in Hawaii. I ran a 15 lb fluke on my last 18’ open bow after having the “recommended” size fluke bend on me on a windier day. Was it overkill? Absolutely, but it never dragged again. Stainless is not much more expensive and just lasts much longer as long as you’re not doing long term anchoring.

seasick

Reaction score
The stock as shown in the picture can be shortened to fit if needed. I have seen this done. Secondly, no need for stainless especially chain since it will be sitting in a very moist environment potentially without a lot of air circulation and may rust.

seasick

Reaction score
I measured mine.
The stock clips are 16 inches apart but the maximum side to side width is 20 inches.
The actual opening into the locker is 4 1/2 inches by about 13 inches
Since the crown of the anchor is tapered and narrower towards the flukes, it can be a bit wider than the opening but not a lot. My crown is 5 inches wide. The max space that would fit in is 6 inches at the tip of the crown and tappered to 4 1/2 or less at the stock line.
My anchor is 8 pounds and it's total length from the tip of the crown to the tip of the shank is 24 inches. To allow the anchor to snap into the latches, the line in the locker has to be moved out of the way a bit. In other words, there isn't a lot of room for a bigger (longer) anchor.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I’m definitely planning on running a decent amount of chain, 15-20’ SS. I will likely reach out to my dealer next week if I don’t hear back over this weekend from others, about to go out to sea for work, and won’t have service for a few weeks, trying to do some last minute “should have planned better“ shopping so I’m not waiting for stuff to arrive after my boat arrives. I also figured having this info on this forum would be helpful for others to see what they can fit in their locker.

I like to go a bit oversized with chain and anchors in Hawaii. I ran a 15 lb fluke on my last 18’ open bow after having the “recommended” size fluke bend on me on a windier day. Was it overkill? Absolutely, but it never dragged again. Stainless is not much more expensive and just lasts much longer as long as you’re not doing long term anchoring.
Yup - nothing wrong with overkill, especiall with anchors. The longer chain will make the most improvment, though.

It surprises me to hear that SS isn't much more? I guess just make sure it's a good quality one - I would be very hesitant to buy one if it was close in price as I would worry about quality. I'd rather use a good galv anchor than a questionable SS.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I find it odd as well that the price for SS is close to galvanized, especially in Hawaii. Most everything has to be imported over which drives the price up. A knockoff SS may be close in price to a name brand galvanized.

I just bought a Mantus 17# galvanized for $292, the SS version of that anchor is $684,, quite a spread in cost. A 14# Delta galvanized is $135, a #14 Delta SS is $720, an even bigger spread.

Koakine88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The stainless anchor I’m looking at is this Norestar brand. Not sure on actual quality of the SS, but for $220 (16lb) and $110 (8lb) seems like a killer deal.

I’m also considering fortress aluminum anchors, using a larger but lighter anchor is intriguing and I saw an article that compared a ton of different anchors and the fortress actually performed as well as others that were twice the weight.

I live on the beach, so even if the boat is stored on it’s trailer under a canopy it for sure sees a ton of salt in the air. In the winter months the whole North Shore is in a cloud of sea spray. I plan on doing most of the wash downs at home after taking the boat out and will rinse off the anchor and chain and leave it out to dry if used.

F1499436-B918-4C6E-AD4F-289F4F71B649.png

Koakine88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I measured mine.
The stock clips are 16 inches apart but the maximum side to side width is 20 inches.
The actual opening into the locker is 4 1/2 inches by about 13 inches
Since the crown of the anchor is tapered and narrower towards the flukes, it can be a bit wider than the opening but not a lot. My crown is 5 inches wide. The max space that would fit in is 6 inches at the tip of the crown and tappered to 4 1/2 or less at the stock line.
My anchor is 8 pounds and it's total length from the tip of the crown to the tip of the shank is 24 inches. To allow the anchor to snap into the latches, the line in the locker has to be moved out of the way a bit. In other words, there isn't a lot of room for a bigger (longer) anchor.
Thanks for taking the measurements. It looks like the brand I’m looking at has a 16lb SS anchor that should fit. Below are the specs:

like yours it seems this will just require some pushing of line to the side in the locker.

A: Total length, B: Stock width, C: Fluke length

FLK-16SS, 16.5 lbs

• Length (A): 25"
  • Length (B): 19"
  • Length (C): 12.75"