Grady White 216 Fisherman vs Coastal Explorer 251

WTM1

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 216
I have had a Grady White 209 and now a 216 . I am thinking about trading for a Coastal Explorer 251. General cruising and some fishing in ICW and sounds and occasionally in the ocean a few miles out are my planned uses. Can any one advise the major benefit or detriment to the larger 251? Thanks

fastexas

Reaction score
I would think that if you're going off-shore just a few miles and pick your days carefully, the 251 should be fine. It certainly has much less freeboard than a 216, and less of a deep-vee in the running surface. It's kind of a hybrid bay boat, but with more deadrise than a pure bay boat has. The 251 should give you better access in the shallows than the 216, and you can add a power pole without looking like a dork.

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
What will be your primary use for the boat? Fishing in the bay? Fishing offshore? Pleasure cruising? The 251 has more room for pleasure cruising with tables and nice bow seats, but the shorter free board would be a challenge in rougher water. The 251 has a nice bow ladder for anchoring at a sandbar. The 216 is an offshore boat that can be used fairly well in the bay. My thing with "hybrids" is they can do a little of everything decently but nothing extraordinary, like the old saying "Jack of all trades and a Master of none".