Grady White 222 Fisherman w/225 or 250 Yamaha 4 Stroke

Old Cypress

Reaction score
My wife and I are considering purchasing a 04, 222 w a 225 Yamaha on it. The boat has a t-top and trim tabs, and other options which shouldn’t make a difference in the performance of it. In looking at this boat I have several questions which I hope the wisdom of this forum can help answer. The majority of my fishing/boating life has been spent in a Boston Whaler Montauk. While having fished offshore and spent a little time in a 208, I have never ridden in a 222 thus my questions. I know their will be a significant difference in the ride and handling of the boat, then what I am used to. I have looked at the performance specs on Grady's website comparing the 225 w/the 250. It is interesting to note that the specs for the 225 performance report don’t list the weight, etc of the boat like they do for the 250 motor. Thus my questions.

1. How much difference is their really in the performance of the boat between the 225 and the 250. It has been my experience that you rarely go 50 mph offshore to go fishing, because it is never that smooth.

2. While my kids love to fish, they also like to tube and ski will I be able to do that comfortably with the 225?

3. What is the true draft of this boat? The specs list the draft as 16” w/o the motor. Assuming a moderate load of fuel and gear and a couple of adults, what is the minimum depth you need to move the boat with the motor trimmed up half in/out of the water and what is the minimum depth you need to get up on plane. The bay we fish in is very shallow in places. I know I won’t be able to go as shallow as I do in my Montauk, but how shallow can I go?

Finally, Thanks in advance for your input.

richie rich

Reaction score
the difference in power between the 2 is minimal, I am not certain of any specific pros and cons of these motors per se, but 25hp ain't much... and since they are both V6 blocks the weight is a minimal difference as well......you won't go as fast in the GW as you would for the Whaler because of the weight, but you'll feel it when you hit a wave,,,,,the extra weight in the bottom end does the trick...this boat should do 40mph so pulling a water skier should not be an issue...find out which motor has a history with more or less problems and/or maintenance issues...post a another topic just on the motors and see who has first hand experience.

Have fun on the water

Bama96

Reaction score
The boat rides great and the F225 will be fine for the majority of conditions. The F250 has more torque and is an overall stronger engine. More HP difference that 25HP. The 225 is less than advertised and the F250 is a little more than advertised. the boat drafts really shallow for its size. 16"-18" is accurate depending on load. I just sold mine and loved it. great boat.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I believe the 250 will give you a considerably better push in the mid-range of the throttle where the variable valve timing makes itself known. And you get a digital throttle on the newer ones. The trade-off is that the F250 requires 89 octane whereas the 225 only needs 87 octane.

For what it is worth, my F250 has 1042 hours and has been flawless.

Rob

Springman26

Reaction score
I'll help ya here!

I can help you with this as I have the boat with the F250 and my best bud has the same boat with the F225. Both boats bought new in 2006. I have to say there is a big difference in the performance and I know he agrees. My top end is 49mph and his is like 43-44. The torque is the biggest thing though. In order to plane off he his to pretty much go full throttle with 4 adults onboard where I never have to. I believe the 250 is the way to go as the boat is very heavy and needs the power. That being said the engine is very heavy and at rest at the dock the skeg is still in the water about 6inches at full tilt. Also when two guys are standing in the stern the scuppers are underwater which I really dislike. I hope this helps you out if you have any other questions just ask. Good luck! :)