Grady White 228 Pilot House

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've seen it before. The guy did good work. I like it, but I'm also a fan of the Parker pilot houses too. I was on the fence between my 228 and a 2320 Parker. Wife thinks the Parker looks like a tugboat with the pilot house. Grady won out!!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The lines are ugly, but the impact appreciated~

It's a David Bowie boat.

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 10.50.18 AM.png

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
To be fair, y'all got to admit for a 1987 vintage craft she is ,by all accounts based on photographic evidence and with full disclosure of having never seen the boat in person nor hired a surveyor, that this boat is in really good shape. How many 87 boats are still in service for other brands ?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I've seen it before. The guy did good work. I like it, but I'm also a fan of the Parker pilot houses too. I was on the fence between my 228 and a 2320 Parker. Wife thinks the Parker looks like a tugboat with the pilot house. Grady won out!!
I used to dream about a Parker...then I got on one. I don't like the step down on the Parker and gunnels are too short

Reactions: Danel

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used to dream about a Parker...then I got on one. I don't like the step down on the Parker and gunnels are too short

Agree 100%. I got to go out and fish on one quite a few years back in the gulf. My knees were sore from leaning against the bolsters and having to support myself from hyperextending my knees backwards. I'm 6'2" and had to duck going into the cabin before stepping down on the 2320. The cockpit area in the back for fishing was massive though for a 23' boat. I appreciated being able to go out on it and experience it. I still like the look of the Parker, but very happy with the Grady.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I fished with a guide out of Alder Bay on Vancouver Island who put a pilothouse on an old 20' overnighter. It was unrecognizable as a Grady. It kept us dry, which was impressive for that hull.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Reactions: JJMag

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Actually, at 71, I appreciate shade, a good windshield that I look through, instead of over or under, and a good view. I would take that house on my boat.
Someone posted a pic of a new GW model last month, with a high windshield. I liked that, too, but not the price!

Last edited:

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Love it. Would be the perfect boat here on the west coast. Similar to Anderson Boats etc and all the boats the Californians add pilothouses too, whalers, livingstons etc.

Check it out: https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/new-greenough-21-by-anderson-custom-boats.654713/

Also like how he made his main tank a storage hatch.

Those Greenough 21’ and 22’ Anderson’s are beautiful boats and handle sloppy water well while having a great payload. Only problem is you’re looking at around $100k + for a fully rigged one... along with a waiting list...

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those Greenough 21’ and 22’ Anderson’s are beautiful boats and handle sloppy water well while having a great payload. Only problem is you’re looking at around $100k + for a fully rigged one... along with a waiting list...
And they have really low freeboard and are wood cored. But I like the look.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That’s interesting that many Grady folks also considered the Parker before deciding on choice. I too looked at both the 2120, 2320 but an enclosed pilot house made little sense for my needs. The walk around did. I liked the thought of the 2310 but was never able to find one to checkout in person. The lower freeboards, step down and overall headroom was a detractor.

I also looked a Steiger Craft Chesapeake/ Miami, Edgewater EX and Whaler Conquest. I am confident I made the right choice.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That’s interesting that many Grady folks also considered the Parker before deciding on choice. I too looked at both the 2120, 2320 but an enclosed pilot house made little sense for my needs. The walk around did. I liked the thought of the 2310 but was never able to find one to checkout in person. The lower freeboards, step down and overall headroom was a detractor.

I also looked a Steiger Craft Chesapeake/ Miami, Edgewater EX and Whaler Conquest. I am confident I made the right choice.

I considered the Parker 2310 also but something about the visual lines of the boat I didn't care for. The lines of the Grady just look sexy and flowing. The 2310 was just blunt and utilitarian to my eye, which Parkers are known for, no frills, just fishing. The Parker pilot houses, I could live with.

20180129_120542.jpgboats-239.jpg

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I didn't want the pilot house with a bulkhead and door because it separates me from my guests. I drive while they hang out outside and fish etc. No thanks. Plus now you want 2 sets of electronics and 2 steering setups. That adds $6k real quick. HOWEVER the open back pilot houses do look appealing to me. Now that I don't take my canvas off as much as I used to.

These are our local Pacific Northwest boat brand. Defiance. They make a good fishing boat. Most hardcore fishermen here have aluminum or these. This is the smaller 22' model.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 10.33.24 AM.png

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Saw this on Bloody Decks and thought ya’ll might get a kick out of it. 1987 Grady White 228, updated in 2012.
View attachment 12907
View attachment 12908

definitely interesting looking pilot house looks like it has sliding side windows so it doesn’t get too hot in there .Bad thing with the Seafarer Is the placement of The windshield trying to look over and under the windshield this would correct it for sure . And I have to agree with the last post with the open pilot house in the back makes it really appealing compared to other boats that are closed off .

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How do you fish it with no rodholders on the boat?

He has 3 downrigger mounts on the gunwales. They have their own rodholders when installed.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
How do you fish it with no rodholders on the boat?

He has 3 downrigger mounts on the gunwales. They have their own rodholders when installed.
I saw that. I guess he does nothing but slow speed downrigger trolling? No high speed outrigger trolling, no Drifting, no bottom fishing?
The pics appear to show there are NO rodholders on the gunnels, NO rodholders on the roof, and not even rod racks under the gunnels?
Where the heck does he put all his rods?