Grady White 232 Drain

bls-fla

Reaction score
I have a 232 Gulfstream; yesterday I was cleaning up the boat and found a through-hull drain I can't identify. It is the forward most through-hull about 8" or so above the water line on the port side. Whatever it is, it may be blocked. I tried to clear it from the outside with water pressure but the water didn't drain so I don't know where it went or how to clear it from inside. Anybody got a clue?

bls-fla

Reaction score
Grady 232 drain

Thanks for the answer, I'll check it out this morning.

exudedude

Reaction score
bls-fla said:
I have a 232 Gulfstream; yesterday I was cleaning up the boat and found a through-hull drain I can't identify. It is the forward most through-hull about 8" or so above the water line on the port side. Whatever it is, it may be blocked. I tried to clear it from the outside with water pressure but the water didn't drain so I don't know where it went or how to clear it from inside. Anybody got a clue?

What year is the boat? My1990 has an open anchor locker that goes directly to the front bilge and is pumped out the starboard side . So mine would be the sink.........

bls-fla

Reaction score
Grady White Drain

Mine is also a 1990, I'm finding that I know less about it than I thought. When I put a water hose in the anchor locker the water eventually appeared in the well of the cabin. I turned the front bilge pump on manually but nothing came out anywhere although I could hear the pump. It sounds like the front bilge should be draining out the through-hull on the starboard side???? So maybe there's a clog between the bilge pump and the through-hull??? When I pour water down the sink drain it comes out on the deck and drains out the scupper. So maybe there's also a hose there which isn't connected to the through hull??

bls-fla

Reaction score
Drain Update

As usual, there seems to be more than one issue. As I said, I can hear my front bilge pump running in manual and the bilge is full. So I've discovered that 1. the bilge pump switch is bad, 2. the pump runs but doesn't pump water, and 3. the front bilge drains through the forward- most through-hull on the PORT side. That by the way is the through-hull I was originally trying to identify. Now I don't know what the through-hull on the starboard side does and apparently I have to fix the sink drain. BOATS ARE FUN!!! I recently learned that my dual Perko switches were wired wrong and have been for who knows how long. Never would have found out but one of my batteries died. But I still love my Grady and can't wait to get it wet.... in the Atlantic I mean.

seabob4

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind when it comes to t/hulls, whether they be on a GW or any other builders boat. Virtually all t/hull hoses have to be hooked up after the boat is decked, therefore the rigger needs access to the t/hulls-drains to do this. Oft times this access is disguised in the form of a fridge, a tackle center, a rod pocket, an access pie, you name it.

So don't be afraid to pull some components/pieces and look behind them! I remember the first Proline 2950 I worked on in my side work (where I get paid WELL!). The fresh water tank, pump, and water heater were in an area behind the fridge, as well as the sink drain, water fill, and water tank vent fittings. Not where I would have put them, but, if you think about, remove 4 screws, pull the fridge out and set it on the cabin sole, and there everything is!

So just keep that in mind when trying to find sh!t...
cheersemoticon-1.gif