Grady White 232 Gulfstream trailer

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I know this topic has been discussed however it usually takes a turn without being answered directly. What is proper trailer for a 2007 Grady White 232 with twin 150’s. I’ve seen 7k, 8k a some even say 10k. 8k seems to be the most recommended , is there enough adjustability on these heavier trailers to compensate for the shorter LOA compared to most boats of that weight ? Thanks !

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The axles and tires have a lot to do with GVWR for trailers, heavier rated axles can carry more weight. Which one is right for you depends also on how you use the trailer. My GS weighed in at ~8400 lbs with half tanks of fuel, I tow about 1K miles a year, I went with the heavier trailer.

Reactions: Jzeno186

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
What is your total weight of the boat/motor/fuel/batteries/water/gear/etc?
I don’t know I don’t own one yet. That’s why I’m posting this thread hoping to gain some insight.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The axles and tires have a lot to do with GVWR for trailers, heavier rated axles can carry more weight. Which one is right for you depends also on how you use the trailer. My GS weighed in at ~8400 lbs with half tanks of fuel, I tow about 1K miles a year, I went with the heavier trailer.

Attachments

• 14E8364F-03C5-4FC2-A0DA-1030CF9ADF6F.jpeg
    14E8364F-03C5-4FC2-A0DA-1030CF9ADF6F.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 9

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Nothing has really changed in the many years that people have been trailering a Gulfstream... or trailering, in general. Here's a search with plenty of reading info: https://www.greatgrady.com/search/1627179/?q=gulfstream+trailer&c[title_only]=1&o=date

You can get the weights/specs from GW's site and calculate the boat weight - then add the engine weight, which is all findable online. Probably about 450 per engine (give or take). Point is, calculate it yourself so you KNOW it's right.

If you go with an entry level trailer like a Venture (be careful with those, though... they're kinda hit or miss for quality) then it might not be a bad idea to add at least another 10%.

Edit: Forgot to add... if you're going to do all the adjustment of the trailer to fit your boat yourself, make sure you do all the calculations yourself as it's all on your. Total weight and distance from garboard drain plug to bow eye are the two main ones.

However, if you're going to buy from a dealer then they can do the adjustment, too - it shouldn't be too expensive to just let them do it - maybe 2 or 3 hours tops.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I too read about the hit or miss aspect of Venture and went with Owen and Sons. GVWR of trailer 11320, minus trailer weight of 1796, equals 9524 capacity. I doubt if my boat will ever weigh 9000 without someone on board, so Im comfortable with a 1/4 ton margin.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I too read about the hit or miss aspect of Venture and went with Owen and Sons. GVWR of trailer 11320, minus trailer weight of 1796, equals 9524 capacity. I doubt if my boat will ever weigh 9000 without someone on board, so Im comfortable with a 1/4 ton margin.
I hear those are the best. I defiantly want something trust worth just not able tk spend 8-10k on a trailer

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Also I have a 2018 Tundra, any issues pulling this thing with that? I also have a f250 super duty work truck that is a little less reliable

billyttpd

Reaction score
Dont know how your Tundra is spec'ed but you might want to thnk about using the 250. Also be mindful a Gulfstream is overwidth on the highway. You likely need a permit to move it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't think you're going to find even an average trailer in that weight rating for under that price. Probably right smack dab in the middle. Prices over the last couple years, like everything else, have jumped tremendously.

I don't know what your Tundra is rated to? If it has the capacity for pulling, that's one thing - stopping is another. Most people only look at pulling capacity - but stopping power and stability is MUCH more important. You might seriously consider EOH brakes to be safe.