Grady White 248 Voyager

Macjr67

Reaction score
Hi I am about to take ownership of a late 90's 248. Very excited. I will be buying this from a relative. I am really trying to gather some info from current owners of this model. I currently own a Whaler 190 Nantucket and a vintage whaler 13". I will be using my Grady up on Lake Ontario in northern NY. I would love to connect with some folks who have extensive knowledge on this model. The boat is currently powered w twin Yamaha 125 4-strokes. I will be using this primarily for fun and some overnight travel with our five year old. Thanks and looking forward to chatting with some folks.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Fire away!
No shortage of voyager owners here.

Macjr67

Reaction score
So finally I will heading north to get this boat back to NY. However after speaking to boat yard owner that this boat is actually powered by twin Yamaha carb 130s, not twin four strokes. My guess is these engines are of the early 2000s vintage correct? The plus side next to no hours, however boat was dry stacked for past 5 years and that makes me a bit nervous. Boat yard said the engines were lubed and fogged at time of storage. Any thoughts on this? What is worst case scenario for a carb engine stored for all this time? Any insight would be great!

cgmiller

Reaction score
worst case could be ugly..it will really depend on whether or not they ran the fuel out of the carurators and pumps...it would be a good idea to have all the filters changed and pump out the old gas from the tanks and not run any of that through the engine...make sure when you try to start them, you are using fresh fuel. I would also replace the water pumps as the rubber impellers are no doubt dry and stiff and stuck in their current position..you start spinning the shafts and all the fins will break off and go into the colling system that you dont want to have happen. I am speaking from experience..

Macjr67

Reaction score
Thanks for the great feedback. I will discuss these points with the boat yard. I know there is some risk in buying any used boat but it should be worth it. The 248 is a nice setup for me, my wife a 5 yr old and a golden retriever.

Macjr67

Reaction score
Sorry for the typo, meant to ask what is max hp for the 248?

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
300 HP max I believe. Twin 130 v4's are a good combination on that hull. fairly fuel efficient and good power. those are some good motors too . Change all the bolt on stuff,water pumps,t-stats,spark plugs, lower unit grease ,and fuel filters. And use some fresh gas.
As for having been dry stacked for five years , I might pull all the spark plugs out and shoot some fogging oil in there (all cylinders) and the in the carbs, then spin the motor/motors over gently by hand first for a round or two just to get some lube everywhere . Then fire them off with some fresh gas. Let them warm up gently with plenty of water going to your new water pumps. Should be good to go.

Macjr67

Reaction score
So I found out the hull I'm getting is the 248 voyager with a vin ending in 97. I'm assuming this a '97 hull. It is a sea v2 hull. Is there much difference with this hull and early 2000 hulls? Thanks

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
It is definitely a sea v II. The change was made in the early 90's.
As for other Hull differences, I don't think anything changed until the Journey came out. They extended the running bottom for increased buoyancy for 4 strokes.

Macjr67

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Boat looks to be intact but real dusty. I will be having it sent down here to Lake Ontario next week or so. I'm sure once I get my hands on it ill have many more questions.