Grady White 265 Express - Bennett trim tab replacement

mward

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the trim tab actuators on a 265 Express? Mine are toast and have replacement ones.

The problem is there's a 90* nipple in the transom that has to be taken off in order to take the tabs off. The larger problem is that nipple and connection is about 4' down from any access hatch, sitting under the battery boxes on each side. The transom access has a built-in sealed divider, so I can't even access it from there. The only way I could think of getting to it is taking the built-in-box behind each water/fuel separator sits.

Any thoughts or people who have done this?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have just removed the battery shelves to get at the scuppers. Look at that "Deck drain scupper surprise " thread. Thats the way in and its not too difficult. Grady only half-assed them in to begin with.
One edge sits on the stringer and the other two edges are held by a single layer of glass on top. I used a sawsall for one cut across the plywood and a reciprocating tool to cut the glass. Don't cut into the core in the hull side, just cut thru the thin layer of glass.

As for the trim tabs. I was going to add a sensor/indicator kit to mine but they don't have " 1 in of exposed rod when fully up" as the instructions require.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Strike That! I just went out and looked. Getting in there won't help you at all.
The actuator is between stringers.
Your only way at that fitting is from the bilge compartment and its a stretch .

mward

Reaction score
Thanks for your response! What a pain, I'm not looking forward to that. Someone mentioned trying to replace the seals first, so I just ordered some with the hope that fixes the leak. That will also save me $300!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm not sure what you mean by "trashed", but if they're just leaking externally, then an o-ring kit (which Bennett will sometimes send to you for free, by the way) should do it. But as long as the upper hinge is OK, everything can be done from the outside of the boat - no need to get inside the boat. All very simple, actually.

Reactions: ScottyCee

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I've been wondering the same thing as I'd like to upgrade to an actuator with indicators and auto-retract but to do so I've got to add the sensor units and everything I read makes it sound like I've got to get to the hydraulic line connections to do so. Was talking to my dealer about it and he also informed me that the actuators themselves are not 'common', that they are a special size for GW (or at least the 265) and the manufactured kits wouldn't work, would require special ordering the individual pieces. Not sure of the accuracy of the statement or if it even applies in my case if I'm just replacing the top part of the cylinder but if it's true and you're looking to replace the entire hydraulic actuator then you may want to speak with GW and get confirmation of what I was told or a corrected second opinion. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I looked into the indicator control. I downloaded the installation pdf. They require minimum 1" of the rod revealed when fully up. My 265 has almost nothing so I did not buy a kit.

265 actuator.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Also...IMHO... without indicators the tabs on the 265 are scary. I don't use them except when I'm trying to convince myself that I should use them.

seasick

Reaction score
Also...IMHO... without indicators the tabs on the 265 are scary. I don't use them except when I'm trying to convince myself that I should use them.
I know what you mean. On myotherboat there is no indication and it is easy to apply too much tab especially on one side. When that happens, all of a sudden the boat acts like it has been taken over by the devil!. At speed, it is big time scary. It took me a while to understand what the cause of the instability was. The hull would snap hard turn to the side with the tab 'over' deployed. So the key is small bursts and not too much difference between the tab angles.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The problem is there's a 90* nipple in the transom that has to be taken off in order to take the tabs off.

That was not my experience on the 270. The entire assembly rotates off of the pipe nipple sticking through the transom on mine. I was just restoring operation by bleeding air (and changing out the 20 year old fluid), but it was easy. It should also be easy to replace yours - if I understand correctly what you're describing, that is...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yup, short bursts and then "wait a second or two" are how to use tabs. If you hold the tabs down till the boat starts to react, you've already held them down too long. And then you'll overcorrect the other way... and then the other way... then you'll curse a little and say how stupid these tabs are :)

I remember the first boat my brother had with tabs. I followed him with my boat for his maiden voyage. We had the VHF's on so we could talk back and forth. After about 5 minutes running on plane, his boat (a 23' cruiser) started to list completely over to port... then to stbd... then to port again.... I watched for a minute with a smirk on my face as I knew exactly what was going on. I finally called him on the VHF and simply said "Dave, stop playing with the trim tabs". There was a few seconds of silence and then I heard "Ummm, how did you know I was trying the tabs?". ;) Ah, good times!

bartoma

Reaction score
I just installed Bennett's auto leveler on mine... I am hoping it is reactive enough to keep it level in changing conditions and when load moves from side to side...

mward

Reaction score
UPDATE: It's not the O-Ring. It was the actual nipple that threats into the upper strut hat was loose. I'm planning to take them completely out and hook them up in the bilge to confirm it's just a loose connection. Unfortunately, the connection on the transom is below the battery box, completely out of range. I'd love to know how they even installed these things...it had to be from factory before they installed any of the flooring!

mward

Reaction score
Strike That! I just went out and looked. Getting in there won't help you at all.
The actuator is between stringers.
Your only way at that fitting is from the bilge compartment and its a stretch .

You ain't kidding. Anyone know a midget aka little person aka string bean with a 3' reach? How the hell are you supposed to reach these goddamn things?!

grady_22

Reaction score
You ain't kidding. Anyone know a midget aka little person aka string bean with a 3' reach? How the hell are you supposed to reach these goddamn things?!
Were you able to figure out anything clever for access? Dealing with the same issue right now.