Grady White 265 Express

mkdurf

Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading to a 2001-2005 265 express as the kids are getting bigger. If anyone own one please drop me and email or text on what you like or dont like. Or drop some comments.
Thanks
mkdurf@aol.com
508-868-7915

Maineman

Reaction score
Love my 265. It feels much larger than a 26' boat. The ride is fantastic. She does take a little to get used to in terms of trimming. Tons of room for a 26 footer. Get one....you will not regret it. Happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

girt

Reaction score
I have owned a 272, 265 and now a 232 Gulfstream. The 265 was a 2001 and I sold it this past year and picked up the 232. The 265 will really cut through chop and is a really good looking Grady. I like the looks of the Express type boat but it makes it very difficult to get to the bow while underway. I have three kids and that was something they missed from the 272. The 265 does take some time to get use to especially with it tendency to "bow steer". Like stated above, a lot of this can be controlled by adjusting the trim. From what I understand, Grady designed this model to handle the North East and North West waters. The deep V and the larger fuel capacity fit these areas.

Maineman

Reaction score
Girt-
How does the 232 ride compared to the 265? Just curious. I love the express style....can sit 5-6 under the hardtop in total protection.
Thanks

eppem

Reaction score
Lots of happy 265 owners on this forum. Damian has one for sale, you may want to reach out to him. Pretty sure the boat is on boat trader too. I made the move in 2006 and never looked back. Hope to move up when I get my last one out of college but super happy with our 265. May not be the biggest battlewagon at the dock or canyons but a fishy boat and garnishes lots of compliments.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
There is lots of good information on this site from previous conversations. If you haven't looked go ahead and do a search. There are also a bunch of other 265 owners that I'm sure that will chime in too. The 265 is a big beamy 26ft boat, she looks and handles like a larger vessel. The unique fold down transom design gives her more cockpit room then any other boat in its class. It also allows fishing off the transom much easier then most other similar sized boats.

The express design is kind of a take it or leave it type of thing I guess. The express design with the large helm area fits our needs of the boat much better. I can fit 5 people under the hard top and protected if the weather gets nasty, good luck doing this with a traditional walkaround of this size. The helm design on the 265 is far superior in my opinion to any other boat in her size class. As far as going up to the bow, it is really not that bad. Most of the time people are up there is during anchoring, at anchor or at the dock. For our use of the boat, going up front underway at anything above idle speed rarely ever happens.

There has been quite a lot mentioned about the handling of the boat. There is a little bit of a learning curve especially in relation to trim with the hull. That being said once you get used to her, the boat rides like a beast through the normal chop we get here in the northeast. She can go through a lot rougher stuff then I can. With her 250 gallon fuel capacity and four stroke power she has excellent range. A lot of guys up here in the northeast take these boats to the canyons 70+ miles offshore. There is also a massive fish box to hold your catch or ice.

There was a change to the hull design in 2002 coinciding with the release of the Yamaha F225. The deadrise was reduced slightly and the scuppers raised to accommodate the bigger 4 stroke engines. Because of these changes, the ideal hull to repower with 4 strokes would be a 2002-05. Pretty much all of these boats made between 2002-05 were paired with the F225s. The older boats 2000/01 will have mostly have 2 stroke power( a lot had yamaha 200 HPDI), although performance is similar between the 2 engines the 4 stroke boats will usually be found priced higher.

All in all she has been a great boat for us. She is a looker as I will get a lot of questions and comments about her wherever I have gone with her. I have had the 265 for 9 seasons and know the boat well inside and out. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. If you are interested my boat is listed in the for sale section as we are looking to move to a larger grady express.

Damian

Bonnie Blue

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
My wife and I bought a 265 express a couple of years ago and we really love it! It's a 2000 model with the twin 250 Yamaha 2-stroke engines. We consider it our mobile retirement condo. She's an older gal but she still looks fine on the water. The only down side to me is trailering down the highway. You have to remember that she has a wide beam. On the water it's a big plus. We have been in a couple of storms in the gulf with rough seas and she handled them like a champ. I'm not an expert sailor but felt confident that she would get us back in safe and sound every time.
We simply love the cuddy, anchored up at night with the hatch open and a breeze coming through, it's great!
I looked at a lot of boats before deciding on the 265 and it turned out to be the best choice for us. The entire layout of the boat is just fantastic, exactly the kind of fishing boat I was looking for. In my humble opinion you will NOT be disappointed with one.

Martin O’Rourke

Reaction score
You ever find that 265 Express? Want to sell it? Been looking fir a wile now. Let me know.