Grady White 270 Islander - Power Question - Help Please

formikatim

Reaction score
I have seen the Islander with multiple power packages. I prefer twin four strokes. Are twin 150s enough? Does anyone have performance info on twin 150s? Would you recomend higher power?

Would love any info anyone can share!

Thanks

Tim

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Islander

Do you need more power than twin 150's? You could always use more power!

I have twin Yamaha F150 and am please with the performance. More power than I can use on most days. I run them around 4500 rpm's for cruise around 28 knots.

The Islander hull changed around 2001 (268 vs. 270) and extended the running surfaces to the transom. This was done to allow for heavier/larger 4 strokes. Not sure if the HP rating was upped. Keep this in mind as you shop.

Check out this thread and links for more Islander power info...
Check these out...

dduflo

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Islander 270 with twin F225s that handles very well with 5 men plus dive gear to include 10 tanks. I don't have to push the engines to get on plane and still get around 1.7 MPG. I suppose it depends on how you are using the boat, loads, distances, etc, etc but to be certain that your making the right decision I'd suggest a sea trial before buying. I do not have any experience with 150s but given a choice I'd opt for more power. Remember that you don't have to use it but nice to have.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 95 with twin Yamaha 150 HPDI's and it is very adequate for all our purposes. Mostly 3 to four guys with usual fishing gear. We typically do not head out in adverse weather conditions and I have never had an issue with the power. I am conscious of the comfort of my passengers so I really do not run her hard. These motors seem to be very efficient as well. I am going to be installing a fuel management system this spring so I do not have any real numbers to substantiate my theory. Typical day of fluking, blue fishing, running about 20 - 25 miles we burn about 25 gallons. That is however a lot of staring and stopping, chasing blues or moving to a new drift. Probably the only way you would realize the difference if you switched form the 150's to 200HP. I really like the maneuverability with the twins as compared to the single on the Adventure. I couldn't imagine the difficulty at the dock with a single OB on this vessel. We mostly fish the ocean and am never are able to open it up anyway. 46 MPH, throttles pegged, in the bay only one time this summer, fast enough for me.

Of course if money is not a factor, get the 200's if the hull can take it, (weight factor) but you will not be dissapointed with the latter.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
In my research for power on my 275 I came to the conclusion that there is no gain between 150's and 200's as the weight increase going to the six cylinder block of the 200's washes out the HP gain. Going to 225's provided an increase equal to the single 350 (not an option for your application) and 250's provided a +/-10 mph increase over the 150's. IN short the 150's looked to be more than adequate from my evaluation; if you want to go 50 MPH+ go with the 250’s. Before you do anything you should ask GW first.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hey 1st GRADY - If your looking at fuel management and engine info for the Yamaha F150's you may want to consider interfacing the engines to a Garmin chartplotter (NMEA 2000). Raymarine has something similar.

Regarding handling with twins vs. single - I could put my 42' twin diesel boat anywhere but my twin Grady does not behave the same. Biggest problem is the light bow and large side surface. The wind will spin the boat in an instant.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do have a Garmin 4000 series and ordered the GFS 10.
I have the HPDI motors, not 4S.